Trim motor leaves me low and wet....

Circles47

Seaman Apprentice
I was trying out a new prop today, checking rpm's at WOT, top end, hole shot, etc, when I suddenly realized my motor trim had stopped working. I checked this and that, and finally had to jump in the water (fully clothed I might add), to disengage the hydraulic cylinder.

My question is this: None of the 3 tilt switches work, but the relays will click when the switches are activated. I tapped on the solenoid with a rubber mallet, nothing. I tapped on the motor with the mallet several times, and it started working, but stopped again several minutes later. Is this indicative of a faulty tilt motor??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trim motor leaves me low and wet....

I was trying out a new prop today, checking rpm's at WOT, top end, hole shot, etc, when I suddenly realized my motor trim had stopped working. I checked this and that, and finally had to jump in the water (fully clothed I might add), to disengage the hydraulic cylinder.

My question is this: None of the 3 tilt switches work, but the relays will click when the switches are activated. I tapped on the solenoid with a rubber mallet, nothing. I tapped on the motor with the mallet several times, and it started working, but stopped again several minutes later. Is this indicative of a faulty tilt motor??

Ayuh,... That'd be My guess....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You might get lucky and only need to replace the brushes. I would at least check for worn and/or stuck brushes before buying another motor.

Circles47

Seaman Apprentice

Removed motor and took it to a local electric motor repair shop. Cost me $40.00 to repair, same day service. Sure beats $300.00 for a new motor!