Trim Gauge

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 70 HP outboard with power trim/tilt. When I purcased it the trim gauge did not work. Replaced the Guage, still won't work. When power is turned on needle on gauge drops. According to instructions this means a bad wireor no continuity(?). Tested wires, all seem to be OK. Am wondering if it may be the sending unit. When I continue to push the arm on the sender the needle starts to rise till the sender bottoms out and now that I think about it that isn't right either. Any Thoughts???

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim Gauge

Dakota...are you saying the meter is working backwards? With the engine tilted all the way up, the gage should read at the top. Pushing the sender lever down makes the gage go to the bottom. From your post, it sounds like it's acting in reverse. Make sure power to the gage is connected to the "I" on the gage and signal from the trim sender is connected to the "S" on the gage. Course...ground to "G".<br /><br />One more thing....please post the year of your engine. Thanks.

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trim Gauge

Sorry about that. It's an "86". I have re-checked the connections and the are correct according to the instructions and are the same as the old gauge. One thing I forgot to mention is that I blow a fuse for the ignition about every 3rd or 4th start with the gauge connected but have no problem when it is disconnected. That makes it sound like a short but I haven't been able to find anything in the wiring itself. Also according to instructions if I had it wired backwards the needle would go all the way up when power is applied.