Trim fluid question

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is the fluid in the power trim system the same as power steering fluid?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim fluid question

This is from the Merc Op Manual although you don't mention which drive you have . . .

CHECKING POWER TRIM PUMP FLUID
Place drive unit in full down/in position.
2 Remove fill cap from reservoir and observe oil level. Level must be up to, but not over bottom of filler neck.
Add Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid or SAE 10W-30 motor oil, if required, to bring level to bottom of
filler neck. Replace cap.
A Check that “Cap plug” has been removed from filler neck and discarded.
B Fill cap is vented.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

MH, Generally auto power steering fluid is the same as automatic trans fluid. My '88 Mercruiser calls for 10W30 oil to be used in the trim system. Later models call for auto trans fluid. Mercruiser also makes their version of trim fluid. I would look at the color of yours and determine if it is motor oil (tan-brown), tranny fluid (red) or something else (Mercruiser PTT fluid perhaps???), and refill with the same.

PS I like the oil since it is a bit heavier tha the tranny fluid, and my trim piston seals are questionable.

Bondo

Staff member

The Trim/ Hydraulic system on a boat is about the Simpliest system possible,..........

It'll Work Perfectly with about Any Oil in it........

Hydraulic Oil,..... Which is about a 10W oil.......
ATF,...........Ditto.....
Or an Engine Oil,........ The Lower the "W" rating,.....The Better the Pump will Like It.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How can you guys give such exacting answers when you don't even know what kind of drive he has? Seems a real shame to give all the Merc info if he has a Volvo or OMC.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Reread my post Don . . .