Trim Control Rubber Boot?

isaacvz

Cadet
There used to be a rubber boot completely covering the trim control on the throttle arm. Can’t find what it’s called, much less if anyone still makes it. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
99’ Chris Craft 210 Volvo 5.0 Gi

IMG_3064.jpeg

Fun Times

Staff member
Going to be hard to find as it's not available any longer but you should be looking for VP number 3857772 though it's a kit, https://marinepartseurope.com/en/de...tiongroup=controls&header=control, side mount

1713852277593.png

Seems this one may be missing the part you need, :(

isaacvz

Cadet
Going to be hard to find as it's not available any longer but you should be looking for VP number 3857772 though it's a kit, https://marinepartseurope.com/en/dealer/other/category/accessories/product/controls and cables/explodedview/54168689?catalog=7744250&img=54225.png&functiongroup=controls&header=control, side mount

View attachment 397128

Seems this one may be missing the part you need, :(
Ah, I didn’t even realize the gear control also has a rubber cover. Need one for the trim control up top, probably also in a kit. I’ll look for diagrams.

isaacvz

Cadet
Well this got more important, the trim randomly goes down....this time when driving.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most of the time when the drive goes down underway, the piston seals are leaking.

Easy to test for

isaacvz

Cadet
Do you know if it is going down electrically powering up the pump or hydraulically such as maybe a leak someplace?
Electrically, I heard it happen, and when I disconnect the battery, all is fine.

I also was getting my cover repaired this spring and it rained pretty good while that was happening....and obviously there's no rubber cover to protect it anymore.

isaacvz

Cadet
Most of the time when the drive goes down underway, the piston seals are leaking.

Easy to test for
Nope, electrical. Disconnecting the battery stopped it. When we were out yesterday, you could hear it trying while we were just sitting. If I messed with the control, it stopped.

Fun Times

Staff member
Electrically, I heard it happen, and when I disconnect the battery, all is fine.

I also was getting my cover repaired this spring and it rained pretty good while that was happening....and obviously there's no rubber cover to protect it anymore.
Possibly either the trim handle button is sticking, or I've seen a few where the trim system wiring at/behind the shift control unit 'white wiring "plastic plug connector" was laying on the bottom submerged in water at times and had corroded out enough that the down wire was getting power in turn lowering the stern drive plus killing the battery.

isaacvz

Cadet
Possibly either the trim handle button is sticking, or I've seen a few where the trim system wiring at/behind the shift control unit 'white wiring "plastic plug connector" was laying on the bottom submerged in water at times and had corroded out enough that the down wire was getting power in turn lowering the stern drive plus killing the battery.
Sounds good, I'll pop open the handle maybe later today, and try to see back there from the dash.

isaacvz

Cadet

I don't like it, but this looks like it would work, as no matter what the issue is, I don't want that switch exposed to the elements anymore.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If the source of the issue is indeed the remote handle trim control switch you'd be better served installing a divorced trim control switch

This of course requires cutting/splicing wires and new switch

isaacvz

Cadet
If the source of the issue is indeed the remote handle trim control switch you'd be better served installing a divorced trim control switch

This of course requires cutting/splicing wires and new switch
Oof. That would be a bummer, but sounds good.