trim arm hoses

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I noticed that my metal braided hoses that go from under my gimbel housing to my trim arms are showing some wear. My question is if there is a difference between alpha and bravo hoses. I have a boat shop wwo salvaged lots of stuff after sandy and I can get all four for 80 $ but I want to make sure they are interchangeable. Any ideas

Bondo

Staff member
Re: trim arm hoses

Ok so I noticed that my metal braided hoses that go from under my gimbel housing to my trim arms are showing some wear. My question is if there is a difference between alpha and bravo hoses. I have a boat shop wwo salvaged lots of stuff after sandy and I can get all four for 80 $ but I want to make sure they are interchangeable. Any ideas

Ayuh,.... Merc has used several different configurations,...

Ya need the exact hoses ya got,... even the Alphas aren't all the same,....

alldodge

Staff member

As Bondo mentioned they do change, note how their made, take measurements in length and width of fittings. Take pics if needed to take with for comparison.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay so I should be safe if I just disconnect them and take them with me to the salvage yard making sure that they are the same length and width? My second question is if I disconnect them from the trim arms and the manifold will I lose all the oil in the system or just what's in the hoses?

Bondo

Staff member

okay so I should be safe if I just disconnect them and take them with me to the salvage yard making sure that they are the same length and width? My second question is if I disconnect them from the trim arms and the manifold will I lose all the oil in the system or just what's in the hoses?

Ayuh,... If removed with the drive down, oil loss will be minimal,...

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is it worth it for me to disconnect the hoses at the main pump or should I just disconnected in at the manifold under the gimble and call it a day, would that reduce soil loss or am I just going to lose between the hoses

Bondo

Staff member

is it worth it for me to disconnect the hoses at the main pump or should I just disconnected in at the manifold under the gimble and call it a day, would that reduce soil loss or am I just going to lose between the hoses

Ayuh,.... My guess is, yer gonna have enough troubles gettin' 'em off the manifold, 'n rams,...

No reason to unhook anything else, anywhere else,...

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay so I got two of them all from the manifold,as for the other 2 I'm having problems I have a specialty pipe wrench use for fittings like that but I can't get it over the nut any ideas

alldodge

Staff member

okay so I got two of them all from the manifold,as for the other 2 I'm having problems I have a specialty pipe wrench use for fittings like that but I can't get it over the nut any ideas

You need a line wrench
image003.jpg

Either that or since you plan to replace, you can use a boxed end if you cut the line

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so I was successful at getting off all for hoses and purchased new ones. I'm ready to reinstall I have already connected hoses to the trim arms, and now I'm going to connect to the manifold.can I just now cycle the outdrive up and down a few times to purge the system of air?

Bondo

Staff member

so I was successful at getting off all for hoses and purchased new ones. I'm ready to reinstall I have already connected hoses to the trim arms, and now I'm going to connect to the manifold.can I just now cycle the outdrive up and down a few times to purge the system of air?

Ayuh,...... After, Everything is hooked up, 'n the pump is Full,.... Ya run it up, 'n down a few times,...

Then refill the pump,....

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the insite and assistance, everything went according to plan