Trim and Tilt Relays click but do not operate the motor

ruddy mudder

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1981 115 hp Johnson that the trim and tilt began to be intermittent both ways then quit last time out and had to use manual release to trailer up the boat. Both relays click when pressing the switch, but the motor does not operate the trim either way. When I bypass the relays and put power both ways to the motor it operates fine. For both relays to be bad would be rare, but if one doesn't work the other should work. Where would you go from here? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
relays are switch controlled with low amperage and 12v but to drive the motor the relays must transfer 12v high current power to the T&T motor.

your motor is proven good so the relays are not feeding it power or said power is being interrupted along the way to the motor

make certain the relay assembly gets full 12v and amps and all connection points are clean and make good contact

see typical wire diagram feeding power to blue & green wires to the T&T motor

notice the fat red wire going to both relays ...coming off the B+ post . all the relays do is transfer that high current supply and reverse it for up and down movements

Last edited:

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
When you bypassed the switches/relays, did you run the ground wire from the battery to the motor, or where did you connect it? I wonder if the ground wire from the motor is broken or not a good connection. It's a small wire and on many outboards it's simply bolted to the mounting bracket either by the housing of the motor or by a wire. I'd check that really good. When checking the wiring, on every tilt/trim I've ever worked on Green is down and blue is up. I remember green for grass and blue for sky.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
also.... and depending on your actual config check the ground supply which may or may not be interrupted by safety or limit switch

ruddy mudder

Seaman Apprentice
Problem found, battery wire to the box was dirty on the underside, cleaned up all + connections, now works fine. Thank you for all your input.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is amazing what cleaning a Connection can do, yet it is ignored Time and Time again