Tricks to spool up a reel with line? spincast

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
I have never learned to do this properly <br /><br />I use primarily spincast - I have a few baitcasters but they are for the downriggers..<br /><br />I am about to buy a unit to help me.<br /><br />Right now I just put a stick through the spool and start reeling, I try to keep some tension on the line but I think I do a poor job...<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Tomatolord

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tricks to spool up a reel with line? spincast

I think you are doing it about as well as it can be done, t'lord. Even tension is very helpful.<br /><br />Spincast are very sensitive to line twist and to stiff line. That, plus the usually very poor drags are why I don't use them anymore.<br /><br />That said, I still start all my grandbuddies with a Zebco 404 or 33 after the cane pole period. Once they have become fishing addicts I switch them to baitcasters.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

this thread has some advice from stren on avoiding line twist

BF

Lieutenant

I use a screwdriver through the spool hole, and then stick the handle in between cushions of the couch, with the back of the spool gently touching the back of the couch (so it doesn't turn freely). Then reel on the line (usually while sitting in another chair watchin' the tube)... This helps to keep tension on the line, and running the line through the whole length of the rod (as opposed to straight into the reel) helps keep the tension even.<br /><br />First chance I get (at the lake) I put the heaviest spoon I have in my tackle box, and make a couple of loooong casts (at least 2 times longer than normal), and use a constant retrieve at a speed that puts the right tension on the line. Afer that it's ready for fishin'.<br /><br />When the small ones have been casting a lot, I find it helpful to put a piece of heavy tackle (with a swivel) and do the long cast thing to even out the tension and untwist the line once in a while. Usually done when they start having difficulty casting themselves, and it usually solves the problem.

LubeDude

Admiral

Spin cast and spinning reels have to have the line come off the spool while laying it on the floor flat. I has to spool off the spool in the same direction that the reel is winding it on. Baitcasters should be spooled with the line rolling off the spoon straight to the reel. I run the line through my fingers while filling.<br /><br />Thats it, thats the "ONLY" way.........

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Getting rid of line twist and evening tension can be done by simply playing out as much line as you wish, with no terminal tackle, and trailing it behind your boat while on plane. Reel it in and the twist is gone.