tri hulls

18ft3hull

Seaman
it has been about 20 years since i piloted a tri hull (or any boat of my own)
was wondering if any body had any tips if i remember right they track nice and straight but turning at speed is difficult :cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tri hulls

they also are a rough ride, compare to a v hull.

Nandy

Commander

Never had problems turing on my trihull. However my wot is about 25 mph so you might be faster. My only complaint is a rough ride. That kept me out of many large lakes. Now with my v hull cobia I can go to any of the lakes in NC and surrounding states with no problem. The trihull is in his way out as soon as I work a few dings in that hull and the lower unit on the 50hp mercruiser motor. However, I am keeping the memories!!! :)

woosterken

Lieutenant

I have one,it dose ride ruff it real chop but is really stable
other wise.
I have found that it turns like a dirt track racer, it slides flat
and some what side ways in a powered turn.
IM000075.jpg

woosterken

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have 15ft "77" sportcraft powered by a 60 rude, wot is 31 perfect or a tuber,turns are good,rough ride in the big stuff does't really bother me I just slow down a bit when I see it,It is the kind of boat I grew up on I guess old habits die hard :D

18ft3hull

Seaman

thats basically how i remember it but i was a kid then and i have (altered) some brain cells since then

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Trihulls do tend to pound when head-on into waves but there are ways to lessen that effect. I operate mine in Lake Ponchartrain, in the New Orleans area, often. This is a very large but shallow lake, and can "kick up" very quickly.

What I do when we get the large, closely spaced waves that are common to such lakes, is to run with the bow quartering the waves - I don't try to tun directly into the seas, even if my destination is in that direction. I also back off the power until the boat is right at the point of planing, which tends to push the bow up quite a bit. This is not a particularly fuel efficient profile but it keeps the boat relatively dry.

On the postive site, trihulls tend to be pretty roomy and they are very stable at rest. I use mine mostly for photography and it is a great platform for that purpose. Mine is underpowered by most people's standards but it will cruise in the low to mid twenties with good fuel economy for a boat - I get about 4mpg in that mode.