Traveling with the outboard in the up position.

Time for ANOTHER newbie question....LOL<br /><br />I have a Johnson FD-20C 20 HP outboard. Can someone tell me how to lock the motor in the up position for towing? Thanks for all the help I've been getting from these forums.<br /><br />Patrick

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Traveling with the outboard in the up position.

Get a device called a transom saver, Patrick. The latch was never meant to take the pounding of being towed. It will drop your engine at the worst possible time.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Forktail

Ensign

Ditto. <br /><br />And as a tip, make sure you adjust the transom saver so the outboard is tilted up enough to clear the road in the event you have a flat. Otherwise if you blow a tire or bearing the trailer will drop and take out your lower unit.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey patrick what part of VA are you in?

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry guys but I think a transom saver may be overkill for a 20hp O/B.<br /><br />Another, less expensive, method that's been used for many years is a block of wood, 2×4 in this case, placed between the engine mounting bracket and lower unit. Use a bungie cord connected to each side of the mounting bracket to secure the engine.<br /><br />Just my 2¢ :)

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Better over kill than motor kill. ;)

Forktail

Ensign

Blocks of wood seem to eventually come loose, fall out, and potentially hit the car behind you. Not to mention your outboard's lower unit drops to the pavement. I've never heard of a transom saver doing that. And they only cost about $25 if money is a concern.<br /><br />If a transom saver was "overkill", then the factory up-lock would endure...but it doesn't. :)

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a 2x2 with a light cable at both ends. cable is just long enough to drop under bracket when I tilt motor about 1" after I get in water. Keeps motor raised when trailering but will not be in way when on water , and wont fall out when on road. Don't forget bungee cord or it will fall when you hit a bump and drop motor

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let's not forget the name is transom savor. I had a 20 H.P. on the back of a 14 ft flatbottom and after a few years had to replace the transom because the weight of that motor had cracked the wood in the transom. If you are not worried about the motor at least consider the cost and time of fixing your boat. If you know someone who can weld they could build you a homemade one. I have one on my boat and all it cost me was the welding rods and electricty to build it because I got ahold of some scrap pieces of metal. Metal will rust but I just repaint it every year.

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my kicker is only a 9.8 and i even use a transom saver on that one too. like RANimmo said, its about the transom too.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess if someone thinks their small O/B is going to damage their transom while trailering then by all means buy and use a Transom Saver®. But please remember... Transom Saver® is a registered tradmark not a guaranty.<br /><br />The simple fact is that the engine exerts much more force on the transom while in use on the water than while trailering. If your transom becomes damaged I think I would look elsewhere for the cause. <br /><br />But hey, I'm not here to pick a fight. Like I said if you feel better about using it... <br /><br />Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend. :)

quantumleap

Old Jarhead- We've already had the 'force on transom on water vs. on trailer' debate so let's not open up that can of worms again. Anyone interested in that debate can do a search on "transom savers" and review that arguement again.<br />You state that a T-Saver is overkill, yet you suggest using a block of wood, which implies that you think it needs support. If it needs suppport, then a T-saver or similar device is the safest bet. A block of wood is just a cheap short cut. As was pointed out above, the trailer hits a bump, the bungie cord stretches, the block falls out, down goes the motor, and the block goes sailing into the highway. Been there.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couple of points QL.<br /><br />If I believe a point can be made by "opening a can of worm" then I shall do so.<br /><br />I have to disagree with your assumption that my block of wood suggestion was meant as a way of support for the engine to save stress on the transom. My suggestion was in reply to the question "Can someone tell me the way to lock the motor in the up position for towing?"<br /><br />I believe I wrote "I think the Transom Saver® may be overkill for a 20hp O/B". I stand by that statement. <br /><br />Lastly. Please read the sentence above "Have a safe and..."

quantumleap

I have to disagree with your assumption that my block of wood suggestion was meant as a way of support for the engine to save stress on the transom. My suggestion was in reply to the question "Can someone tell me the way to lock the motor in the up position for towing?"
Huh??<br /> :confused: <br />Nevermind. <br />You have a happy weekend too. :cool:

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Patrick-I have a 20 horse Johnson and use a transom saver. It's great!! No worries. I used a block of wood and bungees once and on a bumpy road to one of my favorite lakes it fell off and the outboard slammed down--everything was alright, but I stand by using a transom saver.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I do not use a transom saver, I don't feel they are necessary, but that it me. I trailer my rig with the motor setting in its up locked position (no powertilt/trim), it is just a smaller rotating mechanism that supports the motor. It does not bounce or any of that, it is meant to support the motor in the up position, and my motor is a 125 horse. If there was clearance, I would simply leave the motor down while trailering. <br /><br />No, the debate does not need to be started again, everyone has their own way of doing it based on their own experience, and as long as it works, so be it.<br /><br />Inn your case look for some sort of mechanism to hold it up. Sometimes they are removed or end up broken for whatever reason, and if that is the case, go with the transom saver. Just make sure the boat is fully secured to the trailer, because the boat can move a bit on the trailer, which will transfer odd movements to the outboard.

Well guys, I solved my problem without using a transom saver. At least for the moment. I used a U-bolt in the back deck and then ran a ratcheting strap with the hooks on each end around and under the motor to the U-bolt. Locks it up tight.<br /><br />Thanks for all the advice!<br /><br />Patrick<br /> :)

quantumleap

Just looked at my manual last night for merc 75-125hp motors and Merc suggests towing with the engine all the way down in the vertical position. If clearance is a problem they indicate a transom support device must be used. In bold print they state not to use the motor lock lever to support the motor while underway. It is not designed to support the weight of the motor while traveling. Just thought someone might like to hear what one of the manufacturers recommend.

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with Quantumleap and all the others who prefer a support device ( notice I don't call it a transom saver) under their motor. I have been using one for nearly 30 years without any problems on all road conditions, first on outboards with only power tilt then later models with power trim / tilt.<br /><br />The question of load on the transom I don't think is the issue, I have lost count of the number of people I have seen with major problems with their power trim / tilt rams or pump motors due to the motor bouncing on the rams when supposedly supported on the tilt bracket, when the motor is lifted to this point, it is in an almost neutral position approaching the point of balance (approx 45 degrees or greater) at this position you are well past the point where the power trim control on the rams has ceased to function and the motor can be moved up or down without a great deal of pressure.<br /><br />Bob