Traveling.....with cover on or off???

hodgejr

Seaman Apprentice
hi folx!<br />On friday i will be draggin my 16 ft. Capri behind me on a 3 hour haul (roughly). I'm deciding whether the cover should be on or off. I've got somethin like 10 elastic bands tying the thing down, but at 60mph the air pressure might lift it up anyways. <br />A fellow boater (an inexperienced one though) advised against it.<br /><br />Any other travel tips out there? I've heard plenty bout the transmission cooler; I might have that installed this week. <br />All feedback is very welcome!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Traveling.....with cover on or off???

Howdy, HodgeJr. Get some rigid straps for at least half of your ties. You will get much better mileage with the cover on. DON"T try to tow at hiway speed with only bungee holding the cover down. You would be better off without it.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

hodgejr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, that idea actually came across my mind!<br /><br />On another note, I've been spending the last 1 hour and half searching for boating info for Sanibel/Fort Myers area, but only found turist information. As a relatively amateur boater, I understand that the area is tricky due to tides and shallow waters, contrary to the very tame ft. lauderdale area. <br /><br />My friend that is also taking his boat is even more of a novice and has no experience whatsoever, but I don't want to take no risks. :eek: <br /><br />I got 4 days to go and counting...

corby

Cadet

Hodgejr.- If you decide to tow with cover on, be careful what you use to tie it down with. I used regular bungees once on my old boat and that scratched it up pretty bad. Now I've found some with a ball on one end and hook on the other so theres no hook on the tarp next to the boat. Have a nice vacation. <br /> :)

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take it off!!! <br /><br />The cover is designed for storage and is not strong enough to handle the gust loads imposed by the 18 wheeler approaching from the opposite direction. This can set up handling problems that you don't want to explore while tooling along at 60 mph with a swerving beast of a covered boat attached to your bumper. <br /><br />Several times I've heard the comment after the fact "I happened to look over and there was a boat (or camper) passing me that looked just like mine... and then I realized it WAS mine". This just happened to my next door neighbor's parents in Va about a month ago.<br /><br />Besides the cover doing any kind of flapping will kill your gas mileage.<br /><br />If you must tow with a cover on your boat then have it shrink wrapped.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br />Capt Ron

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There are various types of covers.....<br /><br />You need one that is designed for trailering... they are a little more expensive but worth it. They have the tie downs associated with the rigors of towing at highway speeds plus I do not reccomend towing with bungees, they give into the particular forces of the wind & do not keep cover taut. I have seen towing with large rubber straps but they are more resistant to stretching!<br /><br />... or you will be blowing in the wind!!!!<br /><br /> :cool:

hodgejr

Seaman Apprentice

thanx...I'll shall throw the cover in the trunk!<br /><br />Re my other question, are the any sites i can find info on boating conditions or hazards of a given location, say, Gulf Coast area?

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure to go on up past Captiva and to Cabbage Key(only by boat) for a sandwich and a beer. Be sure to take a dollar bill to stick on the wall. There must be 30K on the walls.<br /><br />I spent a few days at Tween Waters Inn in Captiva after crossing the "ditch" from Stuart armed only with a chart. Not a problem,..but then again, I know how to read a chart. There are definately some shallows, but the channels are clearly marked.<br /><br />Have fun!!!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hodge, unless you have a custom fit cover, and a LINE at each eyelet to tie it to the trailer, take the cover off...it will only beat up yuor boat....