Trash!!

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
First off I'd like to say, yes....I was wrong?
Thur. the 7th I ran my boat out on the inercoastel to do some fishing.
Didn't have much luck.The water was low but coming in. So I stop on this island to water my favorite tree. This island is a relay cool spot, maybe acer and a 1/2 . Great camping spot. So I pee on my tree, look around and see trash all over......... I say to myself...." self, what mother#*&^#* would bring all this and not take it back with'em ? :mad: I spend about 2hr cleaning up glass, cans,junk airmatteress, burnt crap ect. I had 5 contractor bags full a bench a hammock frame(see the pic). If I run the channel it's 2 miles to the dock, could be less. If I cross the flats it's 1/2 that. I see guys jam across 30-40mph all the time, me I'm doing 10-15mph because I only have a 18hp on my boat at 1/2 throttle. Yep, I get pulled by a sheriff, get a no wake ticket for $90.00. I tell the guy. " I just cleaned the island, can I get a warning?" "NO!" This man did not give a crap! I will always clean my planet, but now I know.............NO good deed go's unpunished!:confused.

Attachments

• 023-Jan 10 2009 - photo_0023.jpg
    023-Jan 10 2009 - photo_0023.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Trash!!

Go to court and at least have your say in the matter. Your picture and the sheriff are proof of a good deed. Possibly falling upon the mercy of the court they may reduce the fine or better yet drop the incident.

Whatever you do..... remain calm through the process...... any sign of flying off the handle will only do you harm.

Good luck..... and thank's for being a good person.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for the good deed..

creaton revenuer.

i hope ya can persuade the judge to dismiss it...

wuttja

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The ticket is a real bummer, but I certainly appreciate the trash collection! I will stop and grab garbage from beaches, shorelines and the water myself. Nothing near the extent that you did, but I feel that every little bit helps!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for cleaning up, Bard. We need more like you. :)

BUT no wake means no wake. Your good deed and what others do and get away with are irrelevant. Pay the fine and heed the no wake signs.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I assume the flats are no wake? I don't live near the coast, but the times I have been there, I see people buzzing through them at WOT. I of course always run idle speed in those, as I have figured out the hard way how hard it is to get off a sandbar when you hit it at WOT, and I lack knowledge of the area.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Is that the Sunset Skyway in the background?

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for cleaning up, Bard. We need more like you. :)

BUT no wake means no wake. Your good deed and what others do and get away with are irrelevant. Pay the fine and heed the no wake signs.

Thanks, I'll pay it and move on. I've been cleanig for 1/2 my life (20yr)and I'll do it for the rest of it too.

P.S Yeah "Beefer" you got it spot on.

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off I'd like to say, yes....I was wrong?
Thur. the 7th I ran my boat out on the inercoastel to do some fishing.
Didn't have much luck.The water was low but coming in. So I stop on this island to water my favorite tree. This island is a relay cool spot, maybe acer and a 1/2 . Great camping spot. So I pee on my tree, look around and see trash all over......... I say to myself...." self, what mother#*&^#* would bring all this and not take it back with'em ? :mad: I spend about 2hr cleaning up glass, cans,junk airmatteress, burnt crap ect. I had 5 contractor bags full a bench a hammock frame(see the pic). If I run the channel it's 2 miles to the dock, could be less. If I cross the flats it's 1/2 that. I see guys jam across 30-40mph all the time, me I'm doing 10-15mph because I only have a 18hp on my boat at 1/2 throttle. Yep, I get pulled by a sheriff, get a no wake ticket for $90.00. I tell the guy. " I just cleaned the island, can I get a warning?" "NO!" This man did not give a crap! I will always clean my planet, but now I know.............NO good deed go's unpunished!:confused.

Well Bard.......
you definitely were not wrong! but I think the meaning of right is very unstable and uncertain.

Hats off buddy and 3 seconds silence for posterity.

Cops are not hired to give a r@+s ^$$ anymore and to most of them it is more important to have a full quota and bald heads!
Especially in the cities. Gotta get ahead you understand.

They are not really on the side that matters anymore anyway (ours), and I say that because I have a son doing it and he tells me stories of cops doing stuff that would make you wonder what sanity is all about, so I know, except that my Son was raised not to ever be like that.
Sofar in the last bunch of years I have had nothing but crap and stupid petty charges from them for things that you would laugh over and get a warning for, but accumulating points on my license, and costing me a whack of boat money on their behalf.

I thank you for your effort which was well above what you can expect from folks anymore and want to say you did the good thing, for what its worth.

You can't go anywhere anymore and not see junk and crap laying around, the world has just gotten too accessible for everyone, and not everyone cares what they leave behind as long as they had a good time.

Nice of you to do what you did, it makes a difference to me!
PH.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Flats? Isn't that those little, short cardboard boxes that a case of beer comes in?

a70eliminator

Captain

That would have been a real b%#ch if the officer accused you of littering..
But officer, I really did just clean up the Island honest!
And also here's a citation for an overloaded vessel too! law enforcement officers can be a##holes, some of them just can't see past the trees, but not all of them are unreasonable, usually it's just the rookies.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would have been a real b%#ch if the officer accused you of littering..
But officer, I really did just clean up the Island honest!
And also here's a citation for an overloaded vessel too! law enforcement officers can be a##holes, some of them just can't see past the trees, but not all of them are unreasonable, usually it's just the rookies.

Man oh man, I never really thought about other citations. He did check my gear.He wasn't a jerk, more like just business.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

I can't wait for my wife to read this. She keeps at me for cleaning up any mess that I see while touring the islands. Once last season she asked me if I did this because I feel guilty about some part of my past.
After I thought about it, I do wonder if that could be true. 30-40 years ago we didn't place nearly the importance on the ecology as we do now.

Thanks Bard1

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flats? Isn't that those little, short cardboard boxes that a case of beer comes in?

Yeah Brother beer will come that way. But the flats are a bit south,and are in the grasslands in salt water.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that six buddie.......karma will pay you and him back.

my girl and i have a camping spot on one of the 3 most beautful lakes on the planet....(nat geographic rating).

we camp there every weekend we can....

when we get there we set up camp and enjoy the weekend......

when we leave we super clean the site.....i actually crawl around and pick up any little tihing that aint natural.....takes 20 mins.

bur every week there is more that we didnt add.

rule of thumb?.......make it cleaner than it was when you got there

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my girl and i have a camping spot on one of the 3 most beautful lakes on the planet....(nat geographic rating).

You going to share where this may be so me and my lady can come and party with you and the misses in the summer?