transparent soft plastics

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
You almost never see 'em on shelves. On an impulse I bought a package of clear superflukes last spring, forgot about 'em until Saturday - they work pretty good, caught several bass to 16". The hook shows through to give you a little bit of flash, I used red, maybe gold would be better. I'm wondering why you don't see more clear soft plastics.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: transparent soft plastics

Because they're clear and it makes them harder to see?

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> I'm wondering why you don't see more clear soft plastics.
Because there are no clear baitfish, or crawdads, or frogs or worms or anything else bass eat. If they see it they will hit it, but I wouldnt think it to be the best thing out there. I have some that are kind of clear, but they are holigraphic and have some color.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

that makes sense after all they sell lures to fishermen, not fish. :) <br /><br />Reason I bought 'em was I remembered reading something on color selection about matching the color of the water. Clear plastic isn't invisible - sort of takes on the color of the water it's in, plus the hook provides flash - you can see it down to the same depth as a darker worm. <br /><br />Looks pretty natural actually. I like 'em - next time I'm gonna spike the tail, see if it makes a difference.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

you mean you actually found something that catches fish!!!!!!!!!!! cool i will have to try them are they better than senkos? last months bassmaster say colors dont matter.

gonefishie

Commander

Color do make a different brad, they did said all the hundred of exotic colors out there really don't matter except the basic one. Green pumpkin, watermelon, black, black/blue, black/red, pumpkin seed: all these immitates crawfish and everyone should have a bunch of different shape bait in these basic colors. For fast moving bait you'll want shad, bream, and crawfish immitators.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

better than senko? doubt it, but it's tougher...averaged 3 fish per superfluke, try that with a senko!

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree 100% but the fish in kansas dont like flukes i went fishing at lake fork texas and thats what everybody fished with.we dont call em bream in kansas they are perch or bluegill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats correct

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

jtex<br /><br />hey if you want to catch more fish on a senko...turn it around! i ran out of a color during a tourney and they would not touch simular colors but were slamming that one color. i tried gluing and melting with a lighter and that took to much time so i just stuck the hook in the tail end ;)

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I've rehooked Senkos wacky worm style too (in the middle) if the fish didn't chunk 'em that is.<br /><br /><br />spots

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm a firm believer that color does matter! never tried clear

Ron G

Commander

Im a believer in color too.I have used the clear and the clear and pepper in the fluke,did fairly well the water was clear.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

im firm believer in color too but i think certain state have differnt baits i fish in clear water and the fish will not bite on white but they tear up watermelon red flake senkos and will not bite on white cranks.i fish with pig n jigs alot try em sometime.i have to try senkos backwards too.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

How long will you guys stick with a color that's not drawing strikes before changing to another?

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think they are more of a natural finnesse bait than anything else. Depends on the lake i guess if i know its tough no matter what i might stay with a color for 30mins, but if i get bites and they short strike it or miss the bait then i will change right away.

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

30 min is too long for me. if i don't get at least a strike in 10 to 15 min, i'm changing!!

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the fish are bittin there bittin if they aint bittin i dont care what color you use or how long you fish with that color.but im a 30 minute person to.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

It all depends. I never throw the same bait for 30 mins when i have 12 rods in the boat. Whatever they bite I will stick to that for awhile till either they dont bite or I want to find another pattern.

gonefishie

Commander

here is a wild idea: it ain't the color, it's the presentation.