Transon saver/non power trim

LundO

Recruit
If you r going to use a transom saver on an outboard without power trim, do you leave the motor in the non locked positio? Bungee it on transom saver while not in the locked position?

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you r going to use a transom saver on an outboard without power trim, do you leave the motor in the non locked positio? Bungee it on transom saver while not in the locked position?
YES. locked would still put stress on transom, unlocked puts all stress on trailer via transom saver. jmo

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
No. If you are worried about your transom trailering think about the loads put on it when operation, no comparison. The manufacturer puts the lock in a place where it is as balanced to neutral weight as possible.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
No. If you are worried about your transom trailering think about the loads put on it when operation, no comparison. The manufacturer puts the lock in a place where it is as balanced to neutral weight as possible.
i think, in my opinion, when rolling down the road, i personally would want the motor bouncing up and down on the transom saver rather than my transom. yes i do use a transom saver, a few extra minutes to put on, take off but the way i have seen it bounce around ( outboard ) i think my transom ( her name is sheila ) thanks me for it. lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hummmmm.

The stress while driving pushes the transom back and forth. Worst possible scenario.

In the water the stress is forward only, as it should be.

If anyone ever saw a bouncing motor fall off the back with transom attached, they would never go without a saver...

airshot

Rear Admiral
Also consider how well the boat (transom) is built. On light duty boats I always use some type of transom support, but on boats with beefy solid transom I don't bother. My current Sylvan has a very beefy transom, rated for 80 hp, no wood, well reinforced double riveted
seams, and supports a 40 hp two stroke. When locked there is no way there is as much force as an 80 hp would put on my transom !! Back when I had smaller boats with lighter transom's, heck yes a saver was used. Gotta use common sense and understand the quality of your boat build. Are you a gambling man ??