Transome rot can I extened life

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 1978 bass bomber not for the boat but for the motor powered by a 1982 70 Hp evinrude. The transome has some rot and delame is there a way to strengthen the transome just for this season. I'm buying a 17' 1985 cajun espirt hull to add power. The cajun is going to go through a complete rebuild, hull is solid so is the transome. I won't have the cajun ready until next season. I'm looking for a cheap fast short term fix. Any ideas?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Transome rot can I extened life

Yeh but will it be safe?
maybe if you take it easy but most bass boats I see are inclined to be racing as much as fishing.

I got a yr out of my rotted transom taking it easy, but trailering stress started splashwell cracks anyway.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have some slight cracks in the splash well. I was thinking of adding some 3" angle to the top of the transome backed by 5" flat bar for through bolts. Then maybe some 45 degree kickers from the transome to the floor. Think this might work?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I'd take the time to redo it right...whip it in a few evenings

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've done floor replacments before but never a transome I'd have to pop the top cap. what type of wood do you suggest for the transome?

jonesg

Admiral

PT ply exterior works, glass it both sides and seal the edges.
But you have to dry it first.:eek:

my transom had big time reinforcement, 3/8th alum plate on the outside , thru bolted w/ 1/2 " stainless all threaded rods to a 2x8 cross brace which was bolted to the stringers with angle brackets, bottom line, he probably paid good money to have it done and it still failed, fixing it right wasn't so bad.

I cut the splashwell off, left the cap on, poured a seacast transom after gutting it out with a chainsaw from the top.
Then I got ambitious and cut the deck liner out, leaving 3 inches around the edge of the deck, replaced 50 gal tank and plumbing , re-cored the fiberglass deck and replaced stringers.(18" tall x 8 feet long)
All new bilge paint, new bilge pumps etc. I don't think it was much more than $2K even with the composite transom. But who keeps track?

Go snag a couple sheets of ply now, set it to dry and do some exploratory surgery with a chainsaw.:eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

depending on what you want to do with the boat ofter you rip the motor off,

you can quick fix it.......(but you have to be the judge weither or not its safe !)

the farther you get supports to the outer edges of the transom the better you are.

metal and a full metal plate will work for a season depending on the current condition of the transom.

if you intend on keeping the hull...or selkling the hull then fix the transom.
but if you are gonna junk the boat....use the quicky fix

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is seacast? this sounds like the easiest fix. Any idea on cost? I'm planing on scraping hull after I finish the restoration on a 1985 17' cajun esprit unless I fix the transome then I would sell.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You will not like the cost of seacast and if you are going to scrap the hull just use 3/4 exterior plywood. Go ahead and google seacast but please be sitting down :eek:

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info wasn't as bad as I thought. Looks lik 3/4 ply would be at least 1/2 as much. I don't think my fiberglass is thick enough on the inside of hull. Any good lines on fiberglass mat?