Transom

Bassducker

Recruit
I have a 1984 Glastron HPV 175. It needs a deck replacement and I am not sure but possilbly a transom replacement. Does anyone have a rough idea how much this would cost to have this done professionally?

matt167

Captain
Too much. A scary amount. 100hrs of work at $150 an hr figure, plus $5k or so in materials. More if they mark them up.

Stringers deck and transom 99% of the time rot together

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most boat were not designed / built to be repaired.----If you do the work yourself it will be satisfying and put a smile on your face.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are lots of videos on utube showing transom replacement. You might watch a few and get an idea what is involved.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The cost of having that work done by others would be prohibitive and would probably more than the boat is worth. That's why so many of us have done the work ourselves; the only cost is materials/tools/personal protection equipment.

Unless the '84 Glastron has some serious sentimental value to you, paying to have that work done would be throwing money away.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Know of a yard where the older boats like that are piled up.----Scrap----Nobody wants to repair an old boat.-----Many folks love to " show off " the new boat they could afford / finance.----It is not cool to be seen in an old boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Know of a yard where the older boats like that are piled up.----Scrap----Nobody wants to repair an old boat.-----Many folks love to " show off " the new boat they could afford / finance.----It is not cool to be seen in an old boat.
That is only if you care or compare yourselves to others. I have a 1983 Lund Aluminum hull and a 2004 pontoon paid cash for both. Do not care what others think of my boats tied to my dock.

Bassducker

Recruit
Thanks guys I appreciate the response even though it’s not what I wanted to hear. Someone mentioned “unless it had sentimental value”. Well it kinda does! I have a 1979 Glastron HPV 175 that I bought new in 79. It is still going strong. Same Merc 175. I had the first real motor issue last summer. The water pump went out and I blew head gaskets. Got them repaired and finished up the season with four days in Wisconsin in September. Ran great. The sentimental part is that this is the only boat my now 39 year daughter has ever fished out of and she loves to fish. She wanted one like mine and lo and behold a fella I took fishing back in the early 90’s liked the boat so much that unbeknownst to me he went out and found one and has had it since. Ironically he approached me and asked me if I wanted to buy it. Wow ! Jackpot for my daughter. She bought it for $500.00. Now it looks like it needs more work that is reasonable to spend. Glastron HPV 175 were known for transom issues. I had to do some extensive work 15 years ago on my boat. Not to the point of pulling the cap off, but opened up transom and put in new wood and glass. Was just looking to have hers done professionally to be certain it is right. Plus I’m a little to old to take on this one myself.
Again thanks for the info folks! Good boating to you all!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
--Many folks love to " show off " the new boat they could afford / finance.----It is not cool to be seen in an old boat.
Living in an area with a long, storied tradition of boat building, (restored) classics are where the money and prestige is.

Along the lines of what gets more attention at the car show… the 2021 corvette or the 1962 split window next to it?

Typically the only people buying the new, mass produced “plastic” boats are first time buyers.

Anyone with resources goes high end, custom built, restored classic or high performance sport fishing boats that hold their value a lot better than the mass produced models.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
At the ramp before going home, we always wipe the boat down. Once someone told me that when the boat gets old I won't go thru all that trouble. When I told the person that the boat was already 35 years old, they couldn't believe it.

The most money I ever spent on a boat is my current new SeaRay. Nobody even notices.

But, when we are out in our 71 year old Lyman, heads turn and we get high fives all the time.

The only people that actually "show off" are old fat bald men driving go fasts with a bikinied blonde next to them.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
lol...."fat bald men driving go fasts with a bikinied blonde next to them".
go fast, burn gas..

TheGM1217

Cadet
I understand sentimental value. Still skiing behind the boat me and my wife had our first date on in 1982. It's a 1981 Sea Sprite. She's a "old boat' but she's our old boat. Will get comments every once in awhile "My _____had a boat just like yours." Makes us smile every time. No plans to get rid of her any time soon...Let me rephrase that. The Captain and I will never let her go.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
At the ramp before going home, we always wipe the boat down. Once someone told me that when the boat gets old I won't go thru all that trouble. When I told the person that the boat was already 35 years old, they couldn't believe it.
This is the 24th season for my boat. Overhead people (dad's) several times pointing out my "fishing boat" to their sons at the dock.

Don't know if I should feel proud or depressed because I'm old...lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
This is the 24th season for my boat. Overhead people (dad's) several times pointing out my "fishing boat" to their sons at the dock.

Don't know if I should feel proud or depressed because I'm old...lol
We are both OLD. Even though in our middle 70's we still ride a jetski. Not like we stole it, but we do occasional hit 50.

With our grey hair we do sometimes get looks. That makes us proud. When we are no longer able to handle it, THEN I'll be depressed.

Now we are retired. If the time ever comes that they take away my licence and put me in a nursing home, then I'll hope to be expired!