transom

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the midst of re-doing my transom. I was wondering if I could use High Desnsity Fiberglass on the transom instead of wood. It is really strong stuff and would never hold water and is very light. Would this work??

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom

My mistake I meant High Density Styrofoam by Dow. It says it takes up to 60lbs psi per square inch. Would this work?

Stratosfied

Ensign

Juice,<br />How large an area are you talking about and what size and weight motor are you gonna hang on it? This product may be suitable for a small outboard with lesser torque and limited use instead of a rig which will be hammered on by skiers and tubers...or a very large outboard. I don't really know the specifics BUT the 60psi rating could be based on several different testing/shear/bursting/expansion...methods to determine the values that the manufacturer states. Now it is common for say trolling motors to have over 50 lbs of thrust. This is to say that the hinges and the brackets and all that attach to the boat also have to endure this thrust at the given area of attachment. If This transome were on a large outboard, Then the trust and torque values for the area that the attachments for the motor meet the transome would have to be less than that of the material in order for it to hold up, I would think,and have not used this product nor know anyone who has for this application. Just a thought.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that would be nuts. Just try to think about the forces a motor puts on your transom. I can see disasterous results. Dont do it.

93bronco

Ensign

im waiting on the info from seacast, along with the sample they provide. should be interesting.<br />-<br />i also got the west system how to do book from west marine today. good info for 3bucks.