transom

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so I am thinking of adding one of the transom brackets on the inside of my transom to keep the screw washers from "digging" in and to keep the trolling motor I was given from messing anything up. My question is this is it worth it? Also cant I just go get some thin metal from home depot and mount it in and be doing the same thing? I am just thinking this for preventitive maint since my dads first older boat had the washers on the inner/upper bolts crack the transom. I figure if it really helps and spreads the weight better then it is worth it. Am I on the right track of thinking here?

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom

transomrebuild046.jpg
Here's what I did with my 50hp outboard and, for my kicker mount, I glassed a small piece of 3/8 plywood then glued it to the transom. Works great.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea none of the places near me have it in stock so i will probably make one out of some alum. From home depot. I was in there and they had some cut stuff on the mark down rack for around like 10 bucks i think. I figure a little double sided tape or light amount of silicone on the back to help hold in position while i tighten it into position. The biggest reason i am thinking this add on is i have that stern mounted trolling motor my grandfather gave me and it does really well pushing this boat around to troll on, however when i put it back there i here a little noise for a few seconds then it goes away. I figure this is just going to ensure some extra support. Thanks for the ideas. Heck i may have some extra steel in my back yard i can just cut up and put in place back there.

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Find a steel fabrication shop and they should have lots of extra cut pieces of aluminum laying around at a cheap price.