Transom Thickness Problem

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the process of replacing the wood core in the transom (1984 Larson 19').

After removing the engine and outdrive, I took measurements of the transom thickness at the outdrive cutout. The Mercury outdrive manual says the minimum thickness is 2" and maximum thickness is 2 1/4". It also says that the transom outside and inside skin must be parallel within 1/8" The transom on my boat is 2" thick at the bottom and 1 3/4" thick at the top (at the cutout). This is the factory transom. The variation is in the outer skin fiberglass thickness, it is 1/2" thick at the bottom and 1/4" thick at the top. Then there is 1" of plywood across the whole transom, along with an extra 1/2" of ply in the outdrive section.

The factory appears to have violated Mercury's specs for the transom. I think I should rebuild the transom to the factory specs, making it 2" thick everywhere. This would mean tapering the plywood at the cutout so it is 1/4" thicker at the top. It would seem to be easiest to make the 1/2" additional piece at the outdrive thicker at the top (3/4" at top, 1/2" at the bottom. I have a lot of woodworking tools and I could make a jig to allow me to route an angle on a 3/4" thick piece of ply (aqpproximately 18" x 24"). Is there a better way to do it? Has anyone run into this problem before? Can I make up the extra 1/4" at the top another way (glues, etc)?

Thank You
Steve

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Transom Thickness Problem

Perhaps you could make up the difference with some fiberglass, making it 1/2" at both top and bottom, rather than doing it with the plywood. That way there is more 'glass' and less 'core'.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Thickness Problem

Not much of an I/O guy but I do know that the Transom thickness is one of the most critical areas and is discussed frequently here on the forum. I think tpenfield's suggestion on leveling it out with glass is a good one. If you feel confident in doing it with your woodworking skills then give it a go, but you are "Spot On" in your thinking that it should be "Flat and Parallel" Hard to believe the MFG had it this way.