Transom supports?

jtb

Cadet
Hello all.

I'm currently rebuilding the transom on my 1964 Sears deluxe 15ft.

My question is, should I install some sort of elbow right angle supports? I had thought about right angle supports in the bilge (inside of the transom) that would be screwed to the transom prior to fiberglassing it in, and then screwing these to the top of the stringers and glass it all in. However, my stringers, while seem strong enough, do appear somewhat soft. So that made me think I should just glass some right angle support brackets to the floor of the hull. Which would be better, I'm concerned if the I mount to the top of the stringers and they eventually fail, then my angle supports will be useless. If I glass to the floor, the floor won't ever fail hopefully :). Can the hull support the load that the support braces would distribute? What's my best bet?

It has a 40hp now, but one day I may up it to 75 hp, which is the boats max on the title.

Thanks for the help!!!

-jtb-

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom supports?

One question, if your stringers appear soft and you want to put a 75hp on it, would now not be the time to replace the stringers?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your stringers are rotten, your new transom will rot out much quicker also.
I'd replace them while your having fun with the transom. Ya got all the tools needed out of the toolbox already!

I think you're referring to what's called a transom knee. It's highly unlikely a knee will do you any good with just 75 hp, they're for higher performance boats, allowing the transom to take a greater load without flexing. The stringers are an integral structural part of the hull, keeping the hull from deforming. What you need to do is repair EVERYTHING properly, a failure of any part of the structure is unsafe.

jtb

Cadet

Thanks for the info.

So do transom knees attach on top of the stringers? Or would I just glass them to the floor of the bilge?