Transom Support Brace Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

first-time-boat

Seaman Apprentice
Need Help.

I am looking for sugestions on best way to repair transom support bracket on 1977 18' Starcraft. i am not exactly sure how this happened but am hoping i can get suggestions on best way to fix/repair.

i have attached a picture of the brace and it is tore on both sides at about the same distance. just so you know i do not have any visialbe outside damage to the transom.

Open to suggestions.........

Attachments

• transom bracket.jpg
    transom bracket.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 20

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Transom Support Brace Repair

The 'tears' are where it attaches to the transom, correct?
attachment.php

Typically it's from transom flex when the plywood transom core begins to go soft from water intrusion

Excessive pounding running too fast in rough conditions

Wake jumping

Transporting the boat on the trailer w/out a transom saver brace between the OB & the transom/trailer

Shallow water launch w/ the motor down & the OB lower unit striking something submerged

Any of those are possible.

Rule out transom flex 1st, if the transom is soft, it needs to be addressed, before repair of the knee brace. Check the bottom of the hull at the keel where this knee brace attaches to it. It may also be deflected. But I doubt it.

Since the transom is no longer in direct contact w/ the back of the knee brace, I suspect it is softer then you'd expect.

The transom should run straight & flat across the stern of the boat, does it bow slightly astern where the OB bolts to it?

first-time-boat

Seaman Apprentice

looked at hull & keel not deflected.

this is the original transom and it appears to have very very little flex from what I can see. When I put pressure on 90hp evinrude I really don't see much of any flex. this is my very first boat and I am not an expert by any means. I will take pictures of the boat (inside and out) and post them tomorrow after work. if you want specific pics and can post them just let me know. my biggest concern is that I get it fixed correctly (what ever this is) and don't have to worry about it going forward.
Thx for your help and consideration.

Respectfully,
LuAnn

jbcurt00

Staff member

Post up some pix, unfortunately it isn't an uncommon problem. Most often the result of a soft transom, so lots of investigation to confirm it's sound is 1st.

Using a small bladed screwdriver or an awl, you'll want to probe the transom plywood everywhere you can reach above & below the splashwell.

This is a possibility if there's a soft transom hidden beneath all that aluminum sheet metal:
Starcraft-2013-Jul-07-5501.jpg

From here:
Tore the transom ...how to repair? (pics)

Until just now, I'd never noticed that the tow eye was poorly located, but the transom was soft....

Someone recently had a welder repair a knee brace w/ similar damage to yours. Most use an aluminum angle laid in beside the knee brace, thru bolted thru the transom & riveted or thru bolted to the angled piece of the knee brace.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I can see by your photos that the lower motor bolts are pulled into the plywood. That break could be welded and strengthened by a good welder (someone who is good with aluminum). The ONLY proper way to repair that is to remove (and might as well replace) the transom wood so the brace can be repaired and placed back in the right spot.

It is a common failure on aluminum boat braces.

first-time-boat

Seaman Apprentice

for some reason I cant get pictures to upload. I will keep trying and hopefully get you some to look at soon. I am glad this can be fixed. I most likely will have someone pull the motor and I will replace the transom the same time I fix the support bracket. this will be the first time for me and am sure i will have a lot of questions going forward. I really appreciate you and all for support going forward.

Thx LuAnn

neex

Recruit
I know this is an old post but I'm curious how long the repair held up and if you took any pics?? I'm in the same boat, transom seems solid. I'm thinking TIG repair plus a bracket to reinforce.

Attachments

• 20230607_180107.jpg
    20230607_180107.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230607_180125.jpg
    20230607_180125.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 4

jbcurt00

Staff member
@neex, After being gone for nearly a decade, 1at time boat is not likely to get or respond

Status
Not open for further replies.