transom saver

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
do they make a transom saver for motors that do not have power trim and tilt. can"t seem to find one.

thornious

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: transom saver

I am not understanding your question. <br /><br />But the transom saver is universal outboard product. It does not matter if you have power trim or not. Hope that helps

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

I tried overtons, west marine and cabelas. I also seen a warning sticker on one not to be used without power trim. they all say power trim .

bmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Walmart has them also. I wouldn't trailer any boat without one. ;)

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

The transom saver (TS) stops the motor from bouncing during trailering on rough/pot holed roads (normal Newengland road) putting excessive stress on your boat transom. In order for the devise to work effectivly the motor must be trimmed down into the TS under force this will prevent the motor from bouncing. ;)

slowwake

Cadet

Happy Hooker, I know what you mean, I just bought one for my new boat and I was confused about the warning as well. Like Major Woods said, once you put it in place, just use the power trim to seat it in that V and wrap your bungie cord to secure it. I think they are pretty universal as far as using one with power or without.<br /><br />I have a problem with mine and I cannot find one that will fit my trailer because of three red lights I have on the trailer right where the bar is supposed to be hooked up to. So I bought the one that it supposed to go on the rear roller (with the U shaped end), and I wrap the steel cable around the bar, over the red lights.<br /><br />Does anyone see a problem with this?

ebbtide176

Commander

HappyH, i guess your main problem is whether a motor without t/trim will cause more pressure on a transom saver? i've not used a TS on a non t/t motor, so i'm not sure, but someone can probably verify this for you. <br /><br />i would think it doesn't matter, since the t/t is let down until the weight of the motor is on the TS. but then the t/t also would hold the motor up if the TS broke, so that is something to think about...<br /><br />be patient, maybe someone can give a more expert opinion. :)

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

A transom Saver is perfect for when you have power tilt/trim because then you can use the trim motor to POWER the outboard or outdrive DOWN against the T.S.. This locks the bottom of the T.S. against the trailer's last roller or crossbar and eliminates ANY slack which can cause the T.S. to fly off the back of the trailer roller and become a road hazard. <br /><br />Most T.S.'s use a bungee to hold the top of the T.S. to the motor. The bottom just sits on the roller of the trailer held in place by the pressure of the trim pump pushing (not too hard) down the outboard/drive against the T.S. eleminating any slack or the chance of it coming off the roller..<br /><br />With out power trim/tilt, you can lower the motor manually onto the T.S. but it will not lock in that down position. One good bump going down the road and the outboard (assuming that's what you have) could kick up and would pull the T.S. along with it. It could and would after a couple of bumps or expansion strips jump off the last roller and then hang down onto the road. AS the top of the T.S. is still bungee'd to the motor, there could be some consequenses with the bottom flying loose. Not only that but if the skeg is too close to the ground and the motor is no longer being held up by the T.S., then contact will not be cheap.<br /><br />Unless you can lock the top of the T.S. to the engine and the bottom to the trailer, then I would not contradict the installation instructions which say "ONLY for Power Tilt and Trim"<br /><br />I hope I didn't ramble too much, but most of the other posts did not address your original issue of NO POWER TRIM or TILT.

Adam F.

Cadet

I would like to use a transome saver for my outboard but my transome overhangs the trailer by 23 inches. I need a transome saver that would extend at least 4 1/2 feet. I have not found one yet. In my wisdome, I moved my winch post forward 23 inches. I was able to use a stantard T/S, however, my tounge weight was too high so I had to move the winch post back. If anyone knows where I can find an extended T/S, please let me know!<br />Thanks, Adam

D

DJ

Adam,<br /><br />You are not doing your boat any good by having ANY of it hanging off the back of the trailer.<br /><br />I do not know what you consider too heavy for tongue weight. It should be about 10-15% of the total rig weight.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Adam.<br /><br />Your trailer is not set up correctly.<br /><br />Move the winch post back up to where the last keel roller or crossmember is under the transom.<br /><br />Now jack the trailer off the ground and put jack stands under the corners. <br /><br />Unbolt the undercarriage from the frame and slide it forward the same distance you did the winch stand. Bolt it up, let the trailer down and check that your tongue weight is correct.<br /><br />Now you have a better balanced rig and you can use a transom saver.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Adam F.

Cadet

Djohns19 and JB,<br />JB, You are right! The trailer is not set up correctly for the boat. I bought the package used. A 24' carolina Skiff on a tandem aluminum 8000lb capacity trailer. The tandem undercarrage is loacated at the back of the trailer so there is no trailer overhang after the aft axle. I know your suggestion is the correct fix, but not a projet I want to start until the fall. Djohnns, when I moved my boat fwd 23 inches so there was no overhang, the rear suspension of my 2500 Suburban looked "bottomed" out. I never actually caculated my tounge weight. My boat weighs 3500lbs and trailer 900 lbs. It rides alot better with the boat moved back. Thanks for the suggestions!<br />Adam