transom rotten any shortcuts?

gallavantin

Cadet
After tearing into the 80's model Conroy to replace rotted sole and stringers, I've run into some rot in the transom. Just a small place near the mounting bracket for the outdrive inside.

I'm planning on doing some investigatory digging as soon as I remove the stbd jump seat mounting as well as the battery/blower platform.

Can I dig out a smaller hole and pack it with fiberglass "peanutbutter" and glass over the exterior and end up with a strong patch?

I realize patching is not as good as the real thing, but I'm not sure how much I can actually do in transom rebuilding. It it difficutlt to remove rotted wood from the inside of the boat and relay it?

Help:eek:

Rod M Gallavantin 27ft Helms sloop

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: transom rotten any shortcuts?

In a short answer - no. Both epoxy and poly need to have a completely dry surface to bond correctly. By just pulling out 'some' wood there's a really good chance that there will be wet wood remaining.
And don't worry about your skill level on the transom. This forum is chock full of folks that have done the same thing and are willing to help you in any way they can.
All you need to do is convince yourself that the job needs to get done - the right way. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

short cuts lead to more work in the future, or a motor sitting on the bottom.

redfury

Commander

Only shortcut I've seen on this forum is to lift the motor off and drive a new boat under it ;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that's not a short cut, that's cheating.

gallavantin

Cadet

Thanks guy.

I really knew the answer, just didn't wany to hear it.
I guess I'll start by pulling the outdrive to see how bad it really is. I need to check gimball bearing and replace boots anyway.

My stringer and sole projects are going good. I'll try to send pics next time I can.

Thanks again.