Transom rot test? Deck rot...replace

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
This has probably been gone over a hundred times here but here we go....I just bought a 1985 Wellcraft 190 American.......was going to replace gas tank and carpet...discovered deck rot on both sides of doghouse where water pools....after seeing that i decided to tap on the inside of the transom with a wood pole...I tapped on the outside when I was inspecting the boat for purchase....well the tapping didnt go so good...i suspect some transom rot....how do I test for transom rot...pilot holes? With what type of bit and how big? How much would a transom cost to repair on a 19 ft bowrider? Could I just let it ride? What is worse case scenario...the outdrive falls off? Question about replacing decking.....where the deck meets the gunwale it looks like there is a strong support stringer going around the perimeter of the deck...how close do I cut towards that joint...or do I cut a few inches away and pry my way to the edge...cutting fiberglass as i go???? Does anyone have a pick of what the stringer skeleton might look like in a bowrider so I can know before I start cutting? Is there a way to pressure or leak test a gas tank...and do the old plastic gas tanks break down over time? I will try to upload a pic or two.....

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• wellcraft boat 3 gas tank floor rot 007.jpg
    wellcraft boat 3 gas tank floor rot 007.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1
  • wellcraft boat 3 gas tank floor rot 005.jpg
    wellcraft boat 3 gas tank floor rot 005.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom rot test? Deck rot...replace

For test holes use a twist drill, 1/4" ought to do. For the gas tank use air pressure. Plumbing suppliers have pressure caps. A radiator test cap could
be adapted. The deck, cut shallow and work your way out, and yeah the
out drive could fall off. This forum is chock full of deck, stringer, and transome
refit posts. Read as many as you can. Good luck, GH