transom repair

pete42

Cadet
Hello...Have a replace transom issue.Its an 87 Searay I/O.Taking on a little water and has a 1/4" gap between transom and stern drive..Have got 2 quotes from "pros" One quoted 3200 the other 2000...The other quote (for 3200.00) said he would have to take off the whole transom (inside and out) to redo it..match up paint...etc... I told the 2000 quoter this and he could not believe this guy wanting to remove the WHOLE transom (outside of boat)..Anyhow,have any of you heard of this??? (having to remove whole transom???) So, I am still stuck...The 3200 quoter told me as well as long as I am not taking alot of water in I can still use boat....(it is an I/O) not an outboard and the transom is not as "stressed" with an I/O then an outboard..so he said..The 3200 quoter was referred by my boat mechanic and he said he was good.My boat mechanic said I can bring it down and he would give me 500.00 for my engine and drive and "scrap" my hull..sorry, so long on this....but have wife and small kids and I am CONCERNED for their safety and mine.. .I will research the SEACAST option someone suggested....Thanks for your help.....Pete43

E. E.

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: transom repair

I don't have any advice as far as repairing the boat but years ago before I was eager enough to try to repair/rebuild, I sold a stern drive WellCraft that had a soft transom. At the time and to this day, I was unsure what could have happened and risking my family's safety was not worth it. I'd have it fixed or replaced before I headed to the boat ramp again. Just my thoughts.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pete42,I don't know why he's charging so much,I'm getting my 20' tempest i/o done right now.Stringers,new floor,and transom done for $2000.oo.I think if I were you I would shop around a bit more.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by pete42:<br /> .I will research the SEACAST option someone suggested
That would be wise.<br /><br /><br />The transon on a I/O doesn't do nearly the work one for a outboat boat does. It pretty much just holds up the outdrive to the correct height, and helps pass the force of the prop's thrust onto the engine mounts---- they're what does all the work of holding everthing together.<br /><br />I think cutting off the outside of any boat's skin in the transom area is a BIG mistake. You'll never get it to be as strong & light as the factory did, plus making it look right on the outside is a big, big job that will probably require repainting the entire hull below the seam/rub-rail to make it look right.

GeeFrankk

Seaman Apprentice

Pete....Am I missing something here? You said a gap between OD and tramson. Reason I ask, had a buddy who owned a 24'searay weekender, w/power trim planes, each time he adjusted them while under way he would blow the gasket around the OD. Called the factory w/model #, said to adjust it and pull the wire on the hyd. planes, never to use them again. Seems it puts to much stress on the gasket, for that particular model. If you don't have planes, then disregard. On cutting the transom, NO Sireer Buddy, not my boat, unless the entire area is rotten, but even then, somebody would have to put a gun to my head. To many products available to fix the problem. Research, pick the system, and attack the problem yourself.<br />B O A T bring on another thousand

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Hi Pete,<br />Just ot keep you current with my project - (from another post) - I shopped around and found a huge difference in price. For what it is worth NO ONE suggested taking the entire transom off. I am having the inside of mine cut away and two layers of 3/4 marine ply installed and reglassed for a total of $1,200. This is a reputable local shop with a fixed location, not just a mobile mechanic working out of his truck. (Not that I have anything against the mobile guys - :) - it's just good to know for sure that whoever is doing this kind of work has at least some obvious background and experience).<br /><br />My boat is supposed to be done by this Saturday. I will let you know of the results! (Maybe it would be worth it to drag it down from Alabama! :D ;) )

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Hey, Hey. My shop got the work done early - I picked my boat up this afternoon, (Wednesday, July 21), and everything is done. It only took two days and the total cost was $1,200. I'm happy with the result.

phatmanmike

Captain

fisher mark, please, do share who these wonderfull people are as i am local with a soft floor and wet transom

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Crystal Cay Boat Repair in Punta Gorda, Florida. (I don't work for them, nor receive a commission, just happy with the work they did).<br /><br />Actually, I should note that they did not remove ALL the wood from the transom area - just the bad area. (About three fourths I would guess). But they bonded eveything together and cut out the hole for the outdrive, (Alpha one), glassed everything up, etc.