Transom repair question...

I am in the process of replacing the transom on my old glasspar. I will be using the seacast pouring method. My question is, do I have to carve out, and refill the "wings" section of the transom. It seems like these areas provide little support for the motor, and the wood is still decent in the this area.

Thanks!

Mike

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transom repair question...

Its a good idea to remove all the wood possible.The wings on mine were solid when i did the Seacast but i took the chainsaw to them also.I then poured the bottom up level then taped the sides off just leaving enough room to get a funnel in the very top of the wings.I used a dowel rod to push it out of the funnel...;)

Cool, that helps. The reason I was hoping maybe to avoid it is the side rails extend over the transom in that area so I would have to cut them back to get the saw in there. By the way, how is the seacast holding up? It appears to be a stronger choice than wood, and it is supposed to never rot...

Mike

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Solid as a rock!Going on a year now.
Do you have rails bolted through that area?

Rails...

I'm not sure what you mean, but the trailer hooks are bolted through the transom in the "wing" area. I was just gonna move those down about an inch. As far as what I refered to as "rails", I meant the inner side of the boat that runs the length of it. I just didn't know what else to call that.