transom repair and fiberglass repair

ed314

Recruit
i need some help i just got a 1987 fish&ski when i took it out it had a little water in the boat . the 2 time i took it out the motor bracket pushed through the fiberglass and i got a small hole in transom is there a good way to glass the hole im going to seacast the transom but im not sure if that will hold .and is there any place i can get a plate like a 20*20inch plate to even out the stress where the hole is thanks to any one who can help me out ed314 its a 80hp on a 17foot fiberglass thanks

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom repair and fiberglass repair

Ed, if I understand you correctly, I think you have a serious safety issue there. You probably know that. From what you're saying, I would not recommend a temporary fix, like putting a steel plate back there. That's a heavy engine with lots of torque. Can you post some pics? I don't have any experience with Seacast but I can tell you exterior plywood sandwiched, glassed works well. There are lots of threads on this site covering the topic.

ed314

Recruit

no sir i dont want a temporary fix i want it right im going to keep it this is my first time working with glass heres what i planed get the motor off get the wood out patch the hole fill it whit seacast and get a small ga stainless steel so the motor is not sitting on where i patch the hole , i dont know the best way to patch hole. what is the strongest stuff to get i need some advice on this when i get the motor off ill take some pic .thanks to anyone who helps me thank you all ed314

oops!

Supreme Mariner

no sir i dont want a temporary fix i want it right

hi bud....welcome to i boats ! :)

your boat has serious issues.
there is no way to sugar coat this for you ...so here it is.
the transom is shot....it has partially failed and is about to totally fail. loss of life is possible.
it is also possible that the stringers are also about to go on you.

yes you can fix it your self.....and you will have a fabntastic boat that you can be proud of.

i do not suggest a aluminum plate over the bad area as the wood around the plate will soon deteriorate and you are back at squair one in less than a year.

the transom MUST be replaced. seacast is just one method. some like it....some dont.

i boats is somtimes referedto as boat university. and in my humble opinion....it truly is the most comprehensive learning package avalible. there is no school or course that will teach you every aspect of how to do this.
i boats will. ;)

just read....read...read.
the thread in my sig will give you everything you need in the first 20 pages. (just forget about the extension thing.....and look at the transom replacement, and the stringer section as well)

you are in good hands here.

welcome

oops

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lots of variables are at play here. The difficulty of a transom job, which is what you need, can vary from one boat to another. Basically, you will have to replace the plywood that is rotted in your transom. Fixing the damaged glass will be easy, once the old wood is out. Lots of threads on here, with all of the different options.