Transom rebuild for 1972 Aristocraft 19

wallacejones

Cadet
So i got this boat for a decent price and the Mercruiser 165 had only 370 original hours. It ran like a top, compression was great on all cylinders. But the transom allowed a constant large volume of water in which caused the bilge pump to engage constantly when the boat was still. While it was underway the pump would catch up, and the leaking slowed down.

When I got a good look at it I discovered a large lateral crack right below the outer transom plate. The previous owner had covered up this area with a form fitting piece of aluminum plate that was screwed into the outer transom shell. When I took the plate off is when I noticed the original damage. It looked like a lower unit strike which put enough force on the transom to crack it all the way through. It may have been that the wood in the transom was already rotted out before the inner and outer shell cracked. The crack was about 10in in length.

I realized that the drive and engine had to come out for the repair. I did not want to use wood again for the transom core so I went on a search for alternative materials that would not rot out. I settled on high density plastic boards, also know as cutting boards. And they worked great for the repair.

Here is a video with highlights of the transom rebuild. Maybe someone can find it helpful in rebuilding a rot free transom.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use wood, resind does NOT stick to plastic

Properly encapsulated wood will out-perform and out-last plastic anything

wallacejones

Cadet
The finished product.

Attachments

• photo289694.jpg
    photo289694.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • photo289695.jpg
    photo289695.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
what did you use to glue that plastic cutting board material with? It doesn't really have much structural integrity, and IMHO not suitable for your transom. Make sure to always wear your PFD's just in case it fails.
:rolleyes:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Cut the transom ply off laterally across the middle of the Merc keyhole? And replace it w a cutting board?

Bet thats where a new lateral crack develops...

Doesnt look like a substantial or sufficient 'repair' and not a good how to example to follow.......

Bondo to fill (level?) the void between the cutting board and left behind 'good' transom ply is also a poor choice. Actual bondo has fillers that absorb water. Ask anyone who's used it on a car and had it get wet before paint, even w primer it can fail.... not a good choice for a boat.

Devil is in the details and there arent many supplied in a short 3min video from start to finish.

Hardware store fabric (1708?) and polyester resin?

Safe boat rehab and boating, hope the repair is better then it seems and you get safe service from your Aristocrat