transom question

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys, just got my transom in place on the boat, 16' alumacraft...going to put a 40 hp motor on it...just wondering how much reinforcement i need to mount? when i took the boat apart it had an extra piece of wood on the outside of the boat making the transom about 1 3/4" ... does it need this? or can i just get away with the 1" of new transom, and a 1/4" piece of aluminum on the inside so the engine mounts dont dig in?

thanks

kfa4303

Banned
Re: transom question

HI corzy. You don't really need any wood on the outside of the transom. That's just there to reduce gouges on the aluminum hull, but you can keep it if you like. Most folks make their transoms out of two pieces of 3/4", non-pressure treated exterior grade plywood laminated together, making the entire transom about 1-1/2" thick. It then needs to be sealed with either epoxy, fiberglass mat & resin, or Spar Urethane. You should also use stainless steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 to mount any and all wood to the hull.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom question

ya my boat will only fit 1" transom, so i laminated 2 half inch pieces together...i wasn't going to use the old mushy piece that was on there before, just wondered how crucial it was to have it there
thanks