Transom Kicker Mount - Will transom hold?

bumrunner

Seaman
I have a 23 ft Prosports boat with a 150 Mercury. I bought a heavy duty bracket and want to mount a 115 pound kicker motor (heavy 9.9). The transom is shaped in such a way that the middle is cut out in the middle for the main engine. I want to mount it to the right, but it would be up higher than where the engine sits and I don't know if the area has the same strength as lower in the transom parallel to where the main engine sits? The pic I posted isn't the best, but I think it shows what I am talking about

The red circle is where I plan to mount the bracket and motor. The arrow points to the "U" where the main engine sits.

So in general, if I bolt the mount where the circle is, will I be ok?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Photo0051.jpg
    Photo0051.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0

cr2k

Captain
Re: Transom Kicker Mount - Will transom hold?

If it won't hold a kicker I would be very careful about powering up the 150.
(humor)

Every transom I have seen (but I haven't seen 'em all) is the same thickness side to side, top to bottom. There is less stress (leverage) near the side then in the middle. I have seen 25HP 4 strokes as kickers on boats not much bigger then yours.

Go for it.

Curious as to why the starboard side? All the kickers I have seen are on the port.

bumrunner

Seaman

I chose the starboard side because there is a swim platform on the other side, but you bring up a good point. I wonder if there is a difference?

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

i would also put a backing plate on the otherside of the transom where your nuts go. i had a sailboat and used a kicker type bracket and had a backing plate of marine ply

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I chose the starboard side because there is a swim platform on the other side, but you bring up a good point. I wonder if there is a difference?

Mechanically or functionally, there is no difference. I've done it both ways, for the same reason you stated. But if you plan to steer it by hand it will be much easier to steer it if you mount it on the stbd. side.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you are ever going to consider an EZ steer type of set up, you will want the kicker on the port side.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you are ever going to consider an EZ steer type of set up, you will want the kicker on the port side.

Why? I've had them on 2 boats now, one an OB, the other an I/O, one port, one stbd, both performed the same.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just curious....which side was the outboard one on? With an I/O I can see how it wouldn't matter much. Although, I think I'd rather have the kicker on the opposite as me, the driver, for weight off-setting purposes when alone.

I tried to rig this type of set up on my last boat with the kicker on the starboard side and it just wasn't happenin':

http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrage/Kicker/

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My outboard setup was almost exactly like the one in the link you posted. Mounted port, and used the existing steering mount hole on the kicker. I made it myself using a SS rod and QD ball mounts I got at a marina. I drilled an extra hole in the main engine's front "handle". I had to mount it port because the main engine's steering system precluded clamping the kicker to the stbd transom.

My current I/O has the kicker mounted stbd, only because the main gas tank and swim platform are located on the port side. It has a homemade setup as well, attached to SS brackets fitted to an appropriate place on the engine.

Regardless, if a "EZ Steer" brand steering system is used with 2 outboards, the ball mounts are fastened with clamp brackets and are positioned right at the back of the motor legs. In affect, they are ambidextrous, and since they are behind the boat the don't interfere with anything.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had to mount it port because the main engine's steering system precluded clamping the kicker to the stbd transom.

Yeah that's the problem I had and I had a swim ladder on the port side so I couldn't mount the kicker there.