transom just developed two cracks

javamonkee

Cadet
The new-to-us boat we got two weeks ago now has two 4-6 inch long cracks (one on each side) at the base of the splashwell. These cracks weren't there last week when I waxed the boat.<br />The boat is rated for a 90 hp motor but it has a 115 on it. If i had to guess, I'd say the cracks are the result of the weight of the motor and possibly the weight of towing tubers (180 lb teenagers). We haul the boat with the motor up but wondering if a transom saver would have prevented this.<br />HERE'S THE QUESTION: How do we fix it?

javamonkee

Cadet
Re: transom just developed two cracks

Also - is the motor too big? The previous owner says he had the motor replaced at a reputable marine shop a couple years ago. Would they have put a motor on if it were too big for the boat?

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: transom just developed two cracks

The transom wood may be wet and/or rotted. Over-powering a hull is never a good idea, but I doubt the motor alone caused the cracks. The shop that installed it should have warned him of the dangers of overpowering, but they are trying to make money just like any other business. Trim the motor up a bit and lift up and down on the lower unit and see if the transom is flexing. If so, the transom is rotting. I would definately use a transom saver if you can't tow the boat with the motor all the way down. You could remove a motor mount bolt and check the wood for rot that way also. Let us know what you find. Good luck.