Transom Inspection

dness

Cadet
What is the best way to determine condition of a transom or stringers in a fiberglass boat without drilling holes to check the strength of the wood core? Are there more obvious things to look for that indicate rot has started or do you have to run it until failure is obvious. I have a 1989 Hydra Sport and when I mounted a trolling motor last spring the drilled out wood shavings were moist so I suspect future problems are coming but so far I don't really see any cracks or discoloring of the transom inside or out. The boat has an Armstrong aluminum bracket that holds the 200 hp outboard our back and I did notice that the large stainless bolts that hold the bracket on are slightly dished inward (concave) where the nuts and washers are on the inside of the hull but it doesn't look excessive to me yet. How would one determine the transom condition on any future purchase to avoid such a costly problem?

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom Inspection

If the bolts are slightly "dished" sounds like you have rot going on, you can tap on the transom and listen for a solid sound, but if you had wet shavings when you installed the trolling motor, sounds like the rot has begun. With that big of engine on it, definitely check it out. The last thing you would want is to have it fall off in the lake or going down the highway.

If you drill holes just fill them with either 3M4200 or 5200 sealant. Good luck

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"With that big of engine on it, definitely check it out." Ok, so what does "check it out" entail? Not to hijack the OP thread but i have a simular question...i have wet/damp shavings..but they look "clean"...where do we go from here?

jonesg

Admiral

What is the best way to determine condition of a transom or stringers in a fiberglass boat without drilling holes to check the strength of the wood core? Are there more obvious things to look for that indicate rot has started or do you have to run it until failure is obvious. I have a 1989 Hydra Sport and when I mounted a trolling motor last spring the drilled out wood shavings were moist so I suspect future problems are coming but so far I don't really see any cracks or discoloring of the transom inside or out. The boat has an Armstrong aluminum bracket that holds the 200 hp outboard our back and I did notice that the large stainless bolts that hold the bracket on are slightly dished inward (concave) where the nuts and washers are on the inside of the hull but it doesn't look excessive to me yet. How would one determine the transom condition on any future purchase to avoid such a costly problem?

I went through this, its hard to accept.
What more do you need to know to accept what you know.?
Wood chips were wet a while ago, washers are already compressing , to me that also means its actually starting to get loose.
You can install an alum backing plate to spread the load but its inevitable.
I wouldn't hesitate to drill sounding holes, I'd rather fill holes than hog out the transom.

I bought a rubber mallet and banged on the transom, sounded solid.
When I drilled a hole water poured out and poured out.
After replacing the transom it really sounds more like banging on the driveway ashalt. No drumming, just a solid thud. I think it takes a rather educated ear to know without drilling.

Badweed

Seaman

This is exactly what happened to me. I drilled holes and the shavings came out wet. They were fairly solid, but wet. I had stress cracks in the sides of the splash well and the transoms bolts were starting to depress the fiberglass.

Take a look at "88 SeaRay Seville restore" You can see that when I finally took the transom out, it was rotted. IT's a bummer....

Hopefully, it's just your transom, which would be a fairly easy job. With my boat, the whole thing needed to be redone.

Bummer