Transom Elevator

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I own a 1970 13' Boston Whaler. It's got a Merc 500 50hp long shaft on it. The hull is designed for a short shaft. I’m planning to put one of these http://www.trmarine.com/cat.html[/u...or from T&R Marine on any boat? Thanks, Tom

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom Elevator

http://www.trmarine.com/cats/pages/...ed up the link above is the correct one. Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

iwombat

Captain

Look again, that elevator is rated for 40hp and less. You can also look at jack plates, you can find a decent selection here at iboats.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ITashadaddy ? I like the extra support plate. I think I might do the same.

I really don?t want a setback plate. I don?t want to add the weight and I?d rather not go for that kind of $. My motor is a 50hp 2 stroke. It weighs 145lbs. A 40hp 4 stroke weighs 119lbs more. My thoughts are don?t make a habit of flooring it so the tork doesn?t destroy things and I should be OK.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this plate that i made will handle your 50 with no problems, it only has a 3 inch set back, and actually improved the preformance of the boat, as i had, had a 71 50hp short shaft on the boat. the 40 is almost 2-3 mph as fast as the 50 was. it cost me $50 for the fabricator to make the aluminum, and i used some scrap 1/2" exterior ply for the mount. 3 layers glued up, the 2 outer layers grain turned crosswise, the middle vertical, add a lot of strength. then paint oil base 3 coats.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All right I'll bite. Could you post afew more pictures. This sounds interesting. It's going to be a winter project for me. So I have time to do my homework.

Thanks,

Tom

60 grit sandpaper

Seaman Apprentice

Tashasdaddy - -How and why did you come up with a 3" set back.I noticed the Iboat ones are set back also.Why?

SandMan*

Seaman

TomP, the first one you linked - does that just hang on the transom with no bolts or anything?

Looks like it would just jump right off....

tashasdaddy

you bolt it on. 3 inches gives just enough room to get you hand into it, to bolt up the motor. the i boats ones are 2 pieces of angle, i had mine fabricated, at a metal shop.

iwombat

Captain

Sandman, those elevators are meant to be bolted on. They're really more for smaller outboards that have clamps, and not for outboards that are bolted through the transom. Nice thing about the jack plates is they use your existing transom holes. Commercial ones are anywhere from 3" to 6" of setback. The adjustable ones make it much easier to figure out optimum height of your outboard on the boat. They can sometimes mess with your steering cable setup though.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called T&R Friday, but the tech wasn?t available using bolts was going to be one of my questions. With my motor I would need 2 through the bracket. I would also use 2 or 4 more through the bracket to hold it on. I?m also planning to had a plate across the transom for extra support. What I liked about this mount is that I believe it won?t mess with the steering as much as a setback plate. I email T&R with my questions. I?ll post reply when it arrives

Thanks all,

Tom

tashasdaddy

the last one
MVC-318S.jpg

the wood takes up 1 1/2 inches of the set back and you need the space to get nuts on.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well to make a long story short, I got an email reply from T & R. Basically what they said was No. It won?t work because of the curved transom. I?m going to call T&R in the AM and see if I can speak with anyone. Links for next two options I see are listed below. I guess what I?m having a difficult time with, is the distance between the two engine mount bolts is 7 ? inches in a straight vertical line. I also have two thumb type screws, same distance apart. At the center of the transom is the curve really going to be a problem? I?m trying to avoid a homemade one. But an advantage I see with you design is that I can do a little bending to compensate for the curve of the Whaler transom.

http://cook-mfg.net/cart/index.php?..._id=11&zenid=d4d2b0e2eed34823a403ca90dad8eaf6

http://cook-mfg.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_13&products_id=13

Thanks again,

Tom

BTW ? the pictures are great. If it wasn?t for the Whaler curved transom, I?d build one of these in a heart beat.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tom, that first manual jack plate (two piece) I have seen on several 13 Whalers locally for the exact purpose of mounting a 20" shaft outboard on a 15" transom Whaler.

Now just out of curiosity I noticed in another post you are from Jersey- did you by any chance used to own a Firebird and post regularly on thirdgen dot org as "TomP"?

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny that you mention that. I owned a 1971, 350 4brl Camaro back in 78-79. It was brown with a white top. Actually, got me in lots of trouble. I?ve never posted anything about it before. But there was a guy that would ride me from time to time calling it a firebird just to bust my horns.

The real issue with the Whaler is that the transom has a curve. It sounds like I?m going to need shims to make this work.

78 was good to me,

Tom

tashasdaddy

get you 4 pieces of aluminum angle, that was my original idea. that's all the cmc is expect it has fancy holes. or a piece of C channel.