Transom construction

EvinFla

Seaman
Would anyone know how transoms are reinforced to support the engine. How can you tell if the structual integrity has been compromised? I have a 18 CC Hydrasport. <br /><br />Thanks

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Transom construction

The quickest way is to trim the motor up to trailering position, and place your body weight on the prop. If the motor moves more than about 1/2 inch, there could be a problem. This is not 100% accurate, as my boat passed this test and the transom was rotted and full of carpenter ants. Another sign is a lot of hairline cracking around the lower mounting bolts, caused by soft transom wood and the motor leveraging under power. What is leading you to believe your transom is compromised?

EvinFla

Seaman

JasonJ,<br /><br />"I have a 4 inch crack that runs about 5 inches below the the top of the transom on the outside. It's about 1/8 to 1/4 wide and appears only to break the gelcoat. I also noticed a new crack on the bottom right corner, coming from underneath the transom metal cap/liner. The large crack was there when I bought it. I did place weight on the engine and the transom does appear to be rock solid. Someone brought it to my attention, that though it is solid, I should have it repaired to stop any potential future damage.

EvinFla,<br />If your transom is sound, the crack may be what I refer to as "Bar Scars"! Gelcoat can crack if Hit hard enough. If it's only a crack, I would fill it with white Marine Tex, available at any marine store and some hardware stores. Don't let anyone talk you into using JB weld or any other "man, this stuff is reall strong" products. You can't beat Marine Tex. You can sand out any rough spots when it dries in about 24 hours. I don't know what color your hull is, but they also make Marine Tex in a dark gray. At any rate, no one should be able to see it after about two hours at the sand bar in Islamorada, right?<br /> :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

DJ, I had meant that if you can get the prop end of the outboard to move more than a half inch, it needs to be investigated. This also is based on the weight of the person who is doing the test. It is certainly not the most accurate test, but it is a start. :D