Transom Build-up

Mojo^

Seaman
I'm replacing the transom in my 1442 jon with two layers of 3/4" exterior grade plywood and intend to glue them together using Gorilla Glue. When it's cured, I want to drill all required holes (oversized) and then coat it with fibergalss resin before reinstalling. My question is, which side should the glue be applied to? Should I glue the finished sides together or the sides containing the knots? I'm thinking finished sides since it will eliminate any voids. The transom will be completely enclosed in aluminum structure so appearance isn't an issue.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Build-up

I hope you mean epoxy resin. Poly resin has no strength by itself. You probably won't find epoxy at Lowes.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never heard anyone useing Gorilla Glue to bond a transon together.

The best way is to cover both sides of the transom that is to be bonded together with resin and then lay1 layer of 1.5 oz matt between the wood and then bond them together with clamps.

Myself ,I used PL to bond the wood together. Some like it, some don't.
Good luck on your project.

I would use the side with no voids to bond to the outer skin.
This way I could work with the side that has knots.

Mojo^

Seaman

I never heard anyone useing Gorilla Glue to bond a transon together.

The best way is to cover both sides of the transom that is to be bonded together with resin and then lay1 layer of 1.5 oz matt between the wood and then bond them together with clamps.

Myself ,I used PL to bond the wood together. Some like it, some don't.
Good luck on your project.

I would use the side with no voids to bond to the outer skin.
This way I could work with the side that has knots.

What is PL? What type of resin? Specifically, what name brand?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can find PL at Lowes or HD.
It's a very strong caulking glue.

I used 3m Fiberglass resin, the kind you find at HD. Most folks don't like it because they say it's hard to work with.
If you use it you will need to sand between layups.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you use PL, you need to spread it evenly with a notched trial so you don't have any air pockets this could cause a weak bond.

Mojo^

Seaman

Okay, three tubes of PL Premium and an el cheapo disposable trowel bought and paid for. I hope three tubes will be sufficient. Thanks for the advice guys.

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mojo, when I did my transom, I glued(PL Premium) the 2 pieces together with the knots out. I figured no voids that way.