Transom Bolts silicone?

Estoman

Cadet
I was told to remove the transom bolts one at a time and put silicone in the holes and then re tourque the bolts again. This is apparently to stop any water from getting into the transom. Is there any specific type of silicone I should be using?

Estoman

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Transom Bolts silicone?

i prefer using 3m 4200, personally silcone has not purpose, as it has a tendency not to hold up, does not adhere to certain surfaces.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Guess I'll just have "Fourple" it then..:D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

"BoatFix" caulk OK too

j_martin

Admiral

I have an 88 tracker that was "sealed" with bathtub calk. Now I'm dealing with transom rot and repairs.

I would use 4200 or better, and I would be sure the inside of the hole had a good coat before I put the bolt in. When I rebuild the transom, it will have metal sleeves where the bolts go, sealed in with resin.

hope it helps
John

MikDee

Banned

Isn't 4200, or 5200, a bit too hard? overkill? I would guess you'd never get the bolts out again using this, I doubt you'd be able to remove them to move your motor up, or down, to adjust height afterwards.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Isn't 4200, or 5200, a bit too hard? overkill? I would guess you'd never get the bolts out again using this, I doubt you'd be able to remove them to move your motor up, or down, to adjust height afterwards.

I didn't see anybody recommend 5200. I wouldn't consider 4200 overkill, depends on how you use it. 5200 would be overkill.
--
Stan

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used 4200 and haven't had any problem removing the bolts.

gss036

Commander

I think that link is very informative, but does not mention engine mounting. I've often wondered what was used when my engine was mounted back in 1989. It is very hard and cream colored.
I think something semi-perm, such as 4200.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

I always use standard silicone sealant for the transducer bolts and engine mounts. It will expand and contract with temperature and will prevent your hull from rotting.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I used BoatLife caulk. It is clear, and when you want to remove the parts, it will come apart. Its been on my boat for a few years with no sign of leaking or coming off.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I always use standard silicone sealant for the transducer bolts and engine mounts. It will expand and contract with temperature and will prevent your hull from rotting.

The problem with silicone is it doesn't stick well to either metal or fiberglass. It does an alright job, but there are better options.

we might be going in a circle
link indicates polysulfide would be best to use

what is brand and where to get?

j_martin

Admiral

I didn't see anybody recommend 5200. I wouldn't consider 4200 overkill, depends on how you use it. 5200 would be overkill.
--
Stan

I use 5200 on wood screws. That way they don't back out.

John

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

4200 hardens, over time and it makes engine removal very difficult. 5200 remains pliable. I use 5200.