Transom and floor replacement

Hello all new to site so not sure where to post this but recently bought an 81 cruiser holiday 25 and transom and engine bay floor is rotted, i have done some reading about the transom but how do you go about replacing the floor in the engine bay? Tia

airshot

Vice Admiral
If it is a fiberglass boat, you have a really big job ahead ! If the floor is rotted the the transom will be rotted also, along with the stringers. If an aluminum boat...still a big job but no where near as big.

If it is a fiberglass boat, you have a really big job ahead ! If the floor is rotted the the transom will be rotted also, along with the stringers. If an aluminum boat...still a big job but no where near as big.
Fiberglass, transom is rotted and have done some reading not to worried about doin transom just not sure about engine bay floor. Just not sure if i just peel back wood and replace like the transom. Tia

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
You've come to a great place for help on this. The people here are knowledgeable, experienced, and helpful. I think a few pics - whole boat, then closer to your specific question area - will help you get help.

There is information in this forum about posting pics. Maybe in the sticky's?

You've come to a great place for help on this. The people here are knowledgeable, experienced, and helpful. I think a few pics - whole boat, then closer to your specific question area - will help you get help.

There is information in this forum about posting pics. Maybe in the sticky's?
Ok will look into posting pics, i have owned many boats and have shyed away from transom replacement candidates but this is the one i finally try to tackle. The engine bay floor is what really has me worried but im sure someone on this site has successfully done it. Thanks

So this is the area in question, the hull floor is soft curious if anyone has replaced somthing like this and how did it go? I will also be doing transom and engine mounts at same time. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
At the stickies at top of the forums are where all the good information is kept

All the answers you need for hull restoration are in here

Read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety. Watch every video, look at every picture

At the stickies at top of the forums are where all the good information is kept

All the answers you need for hull restoration are in here

Read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety. Watch every video, look at every picture
Will do thank you!

1000004545.jpgupon further inspection i found this, my question is was this a factory setup or was someone doin a cut corner approach for repair. I find it hard to believe it would be a factory thing but you never know. There is also a plywood shim under front engine mounts

Last edited:

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
View attachment 386132upon further inspection i found this, my question is was this a factory setup or was someone doin a cut corner approach for repair. I find it hard to believe it would be a factory thing but you never know. There is also a plywood shim under front engine mounts.
It's possible they were added because the wood was getting weak making it hard to align the motor and drive, would have had to be done because of not enough adjustment left on the mount before.
Meaning not factory, rotted wood.

OR

This could have installed after someone redid this area before and made the mounts to low and needed them.

Last edited:
It's possible they were added because the wood was getting weak making it hard to align the motor and drive, would have had to be done because of not enough adjustment left on the mount before.
Meaning not factory, rotted wood.

OR

This could have installed after someone redid this area before and made the mounts to low and needed them.
So when i redo the transom what thickness should i go with, is there a set thickness it should be?

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
A 1-1/2" is pretty common as far as the wood, (2) 3/4" pieces fastened together, there are different methods people have used in their builds.
The above does not include the outer fiberglass hull or new glass you cover the new transom with.
You will see what yours is like when you remove your drive train.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Total transom thickness of 2" to 2-1/8"

1000004570.jpgso engine is out and transom measured 1" thick but with this added wood totaled 2 ¹/⁸" so im guessing this was factory unless a previous drive setup would have needed a thinner transom. Anyone familiar if the aplha gen 1 would be a factory option in 1981 or was there somthing before the gen 1? Tia

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
That doesn’t look like factory to me. That wood would have been glassed in. Bare wood is a no no. Maybe someone else here could confirm

That doesn’t look like factory to me. That wood would have been glassed in. Bare wood is a no no. Maybe someone else here could confirm
Thats what i am thinking,the transom behind it is glassed and matches the rest of the transom so my question is why it was added. I am thinking this was a newer drive added at some point, doesn't really matter though because when i redo transom i will build the keyhole area up the right way just tryin figure out the story of this boat lol. Cheers

So i have been removing rotted transom and cutting away the bad sections of the hull but got to this area and not sure how to proceed, the area on question is a boxed in portion on either side of engine bay it is built over the floor but looks as if it was installed before upper half of boat was set on. Need to get to hull underneath but not sure how i would replace the foam afterwards! Tia

Attachments

• 20230816_191040.jpg
    20230816_191040.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230816_191029.jpg
    20230816_191029.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 11

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Stand back another 10 feet in your pics so we can get perspective.

I would uncap, the cut out all the bad and go from there

Hard to get better pics as this area is below deck sorry. I can try to get better pics tomorrow,Uncap as in lift the top half of boat off? Tia