Transducers too low?

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I'm on plane there is a nasty plume (rooster tail?) shooting up and out about 5 feet from the back of the boat in the area of the transducer mountin plate. Bothe transducers sit below the hull. Aren't they supposed to be even with the bottom i.e. bottom of transducer even with bottom of boat? Is this what could be causing excessive spray? Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transducers too low?

Yes, it should be even with the bottom of the hull. More than likely, that is you problem. It's like dragging a rock behind you and will splash water everywhere...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

neil2fish<br />Rooster tail is likely caused by transducer.<br />Really depends on the type of boat your have.<br />Aluminum boats with lots of rivets the transducer needs to be mounted deeper to get below the air bubbles caused by the rivets. Deep V boats then you can not mount it flush with the hull as it would be pointing off to one side. It needs to point stright down and about 1/2 of the transducer should be below the hull, so on deep V boats one side should have half of the transducer below the hull but the other side will be deeper.<br /><br />At trolling speed can be even with the bottom of the hull and will work fine. As speed picks up need to be deeper and have at least 1/2 of the transducer below the hull.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. That explains why the dealer mounted them like that. Since I have some room for adjustment in the mounts I'll try raising them up a little at a time to see how it affects spray and performance. I'm going out again on Friday and I'll post my findings.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I raised the transducer for the Humminbird in the front of the boat until it was all above the bottom of the boat and the transducer for the Eagle on the dash so that 1/2 was above the deadrise and 1/2 below. There is still a small plume from that side of the boat but 25% of waht it was and none is splasing against the motor or in the boat anymore. The Humminbird is only used for depth when casting from the bow so being higher doesn't seem to matter. The Eagle appeared to work fine and give good readings even at planing speeds. Thanks Fellas!