transducer----transom mounted or thru the hull

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Am going to have a fishfinder/gps mounted on my boat, just wanted to know what the best way to do it is. transom mounted or thru the bottom of boat. any help is appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: transducer----transom mounted or thru the hull

When you upgrade, as you ceretainly will in a few years, the transom mount is a piece of cake to change. Not so the through-hull.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Plus if you want to use the water temp a lot of units give you it needs to be transom mounted.

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

I think you may have a third transducer option - In Hull (mounts/epoxies in the hull and shoots through without having to drill any holes).

I don't know what if any drawbacks there would be to using this setup for a fishfinder but thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

I've been thinking about adding a Faria depth sounder with an in hull transducer. Don't want to drill any holes if I don't have too. :D

BTW, looks like we have the same boat but mines black.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Am going to have a fishfinder/gps mounted on my boat, just wanted to know what the best way to do it is. transom mounted or thru the bottom of boat. any help is appreciated.

I think our OP meant a shoot-through. Like this one...
ElectCat.jpg

BTW, mpod, when we (Proline) order the Faria depth sounder, we use the same transducer as the one above...:)

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have used all three types the most accurate I have fornd is the thru-hull type. all of the worry about drilling a hole is completely unfounded if properly installed you will never have a problem. So as Sarah would say "drill baby drill"!!!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

I have used all three types the most accurate I have fornd is the thru-hull type. all of the worry about drilling a hole is completely unfounded if properly installed you will never have a problem. So as Sarah would say "drill baby drill"!!!

Quite a bit more cost, a lot more labor, and considering these guys have I/Os, a lot trickier to get the proper install, fairing blocks and all...

The shoot-through just seems to be the best considering their scenarios...;)

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the info. i've been quoted 172.00 flat rate install by the dealer for transom or thru hull install.now just need to decide which brand and how much i want i want to pay.

hey mpod how has your boat treated you so far

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quite a bit more cost, a lot more labor, and considering these guys have I/Os, a lot trickier to get the proper install, fairing blocks and all...

The shoot-through just seems to be the best considering their scenarios...;)

I have twin I/O's here is mine works great.
DSCF3808.jpg

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I installed mine on the transom and the mount bracket broke twice. Wound up epoxying transducer to the top of a trim tab works great so far going on it.s third season this spring.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

I have twin I/O's here is mine works great.
DSCF3808.jpg

Did you do the install yourself? What kind of room was there between the forward end of the starboard motor and the fuel tank b/head?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yet another thru hull. No fairing block required :D:D
Airmar B164 - 1kW transducer

P1010371.JPG

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

And the price is?...:D

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

My GPS came with a transom mount transponder. I'm not sure if I want to use that or buy a thru hull transponder. Is the performance that much better to warrant the $200 part?

Another concern is that at some point I am going to put trim tabs on the back of my boat. The transponder might be in the way?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My GPS came with a transom mount transponder. I'm not sure if I want to use that or buy a thru hull transponder. Is the performance that much better to warrant the $200 part?

Another concern is that at some point I am going to put trim tabs on the back of my boat. The transponder might be in the way?

While the shoot thru eliminates a lot of the mounting problems typically associated with a transom mount, you could give up a good bit of sensitivity when shooting thru the hull.

I fish so a units sensitivty is of primary importance to me. If you don't fish then it may not so much.

Transmission losses through the hull are due to two factors:
1. Absorption of the ultrasonic energy by the fiberglass hull. The thicker the hull, the greater the absorption.

2. ?Impedance mismatch?: the thickness of the hull in wavelengths at the operating frequencies can cause
transmission loss and shift the transducer frequency

? For hull thicknesses of 1/4, 3/4, 5/4, etc?, hull losses due to impedance mismatch will be lowest
? For hull thicknesses of 1/2, 1 and 1.5 wavelengths, losses will be highest.

In-Hull Transducers and Fiberglass Hull Thickness
@ 50kHZ
0 = 0
3/8" = 5% loss
?" = 10% loss
?" = 3% loss
1? = 7% loss

@ 200kHZ
0 = 0
3/8" = 7% loss
?" = 3% loss
?" = 5% loss
1? = 4% loss

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking of a thru hull (drill a hole) vs Transom mount. The thru hull design give you a little more response because it is in front of the motor and any possible cavitation?

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two more questions...

Plastic vs. brass transducer ? (i'm in fresh water)

What is a fairing block?

skargo

Banned

My .02, I have both a shoot-thru and a transom mount. They both read very similarly, I thought I would lose signal strength on the shoot-thru, seems not to be the case.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My .02, I have both a shoot-thru and a transom mount. They both read very similarly, I thought I would lose signal strength on the shoot-thru, seems not to be the case.

A loose of sensitivity is not necessarily reflected in a depth readings. The bottom returns such a large signal that it would take a tremendous lose of sensitivity to translate into a depth change. Where the loss becomes really noticeable is when you are trying to mark things that provide a very weak sonar returns. For instance, a jelly fish would show up well on a thru hull where as you might not be able to see them using the shoot thru.

If you want to check your actual loss you need to connect both transducers to the same head unit and compare the gain settings. Connect the transom mount to the head unit and adjust it for maximum sensitivity. Then swap cables and adjust the thru hull to get the same picture. The difference in your gain setting is your sensitivity loss.