can I just move engine forward?

jearl

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a good used gimbal housing and plan to replace the tired unit on my 260 merc. can I just remove the mount bots and move the engine forward say 6 inches instead of pulling all the way out? if this gives me room enough to get at the needed bolts would seem to allow me to save disconnecting as much in the bilge. Also, now that I have removed the linkage arm between the power steering ram and the pivot arm (this seemed a little sloppy too) I notice i can turn the steering wheel about 3 inches before I can see the end of the steering ram move. would this most likely be the gearbox worn on the dash or the cable itself having worn internaly? I have tried to take slack out of the steering box in the dash before by tightening the big nut on the back as it seemed loose. seems kind of funny that now that I have the new gimbal housing I planned to install to get rid of slop (old splined style) I am finding all these other items contributing to all the free play i was noticing. I appreciate all your feedbck! Don, have you moved to Ocean Shores yet?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: can I just move engine forward?

As long as you have room to do the work, sure.

Yes, it sounds like your steering system is worn out. Chances are you will NEVER find only a cable. Replace the whole steering system. Common parts.

Even new steering has play. And every drive with a single prop, play or no play will wander side to side at low speed. It's the nature of the beast.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

And every drive with a single prop, play or no play will wander side to side at low speed. It's the nature of the beast.

My experience has been, after installing Smart Tabs, the low speed wandering virtually disappeared.

jearl

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback I was hoping so.... Don, when are you moving?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully, the 20th of June..............

jearl

Seaman Apprentice

i don't know what arrangements you've made but I run a trcking co that is affiliated with AML and can probably get you a swinging deal on a container load or two south and would personally welcome the chance to repay for some of what I have managed to learn from your postings. email me at my work address jearl@awe.lynden.com and let me know what I can do to help move south from KTN. Jim

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[/QUOTE] Also, now that I have removed the linkage arm between the power steering ram and the pivot arm (this seemed a little sloppy too) I notice i can turn the steering wheel about 3 inches before I can see the end of the steering ram move. would this most likely be the gearbox worn on the dash or the cable itself having worn internaly? I have tried to take slack out of the steering box in the dash before by tightening the big nut on the back as it seemed loose.[/QUOTE]

I have what seems to be the exact same problem but have never been able to figure out how to access the back of the steering box to see if I can adjust anything there. all boats are different but mine (1992 Rinker 24FV) has no way to access it from the head. It seems I would need to remove the entire dashboard. Is there anyway to access anything by removing the steering wheel and the connectors that appear to be holding the shaft in place?