Transducer mounting options?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
My depth finder transducer *was* mounted in an unfortunate position directly in line with my lift bunks. When lifting the boat in some chop the other day it landed on the bunk and got loosened up. I was about to remount it but decided that I really don't want those holes in my transom any more. Thought about just gluing it on, but figured a better solution would be to glue a plate to the transom, and screw to that. Then I thought an even better solution was to have 2 plates with a hinge up top that would allow it to break away at the bottom if the transducer took a big hit. So does anyone have a design to share? And what would be a good material for the plate (s)?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My depth finder transducer *was* mounted in an unfortunate position directly in line with my lift bunks. When lifting the boat in some chop the other day it landed on the bunk and got loosened up. I was about to remount it but decided that I really don't want those holes in my transom any more. Thought about just gluing it on, but figured a better solution would be to glue a plate to the transom, and screw to that. Then I thought an even better solution was to have 2 plates with a hinge up top that would allow it to break away at the bottom if the transducer took a big hit. So does anyone have a design to share? And what would be a good material for the plate (s)?
Most transducer mounts were “breakaway” until the large, side scan transducers hit the market.

The best thing I ever did was install a transducer board on the transom.

Drilled the two mounting holes. Filled with epoxy then back drilled so no glue involved in the installation. The 3/4” thickness gives you plenty of meat to drill into

I started with transom mount transducer. Upgraded to thru hull then added side scan and speed (paddle wheel) back on the transom.

Had to move the paddle wheel sensor over an inch to miss the bunk on my new trailer.

The board is starting to look like Swiss cheese, but it’s serves its purpose

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, they would tilt, but the ones I've seen still have part of the mount below the hull. that plate is just PVC--not sure why that didn't immediately come to mind, thanks. I have pvc trim pieces lying around that should work. Still going to think of a good hinge design

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well, they would tilt, but the ones I've seen still have part of the mount below the hull.
I guess I’m fortunate that my transducer bolts to the bottom of the mount. Only the bottom 1/8” of the transducer extends below the hull.

IMG_2673.jpeg

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bass Pro has a Transducer Mounting Plate in a couple sizes. (basically a piece of Starboard).
It attaches to the Transom with 2 screws and 5200. Theory is seal it up well then you are only screwing into the plate when you move or change the transducer. I know some guys that just use 5200 and no screws, but I dont think I trust that

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bass Pro has a Transducer Mounting Plate in a couple sizes. (basically a piece of Starboard).
It attaches to the Transom with 2 screws and 5200. Theory is seal it up well then you are only screwing into the plate when you move or change the transducer. I know some guys that just use 5200 and no screws, but I dont think I trust that
I guess that was unnecessary! I should have looked at the previous post :)
Sorry