Transducer mounting,and underwater adhesive?

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some welded alum boats have little plates welded to the bottom of the transom to mount ducer.My alumacraft has none,I`d prefer not to drill thru.With the sponsons may not be a lot of room,and not sure of the position,I may have to go to rear of sponsons.I know one option is a transom ducer mount saver plate made of plastic that would allow some movement,but it screws to the transom,but,would any adhesive hold up underwater to glue little aluminum plates to hold the ducer?I`ve heard E30-CL was good stuff.Any ideas?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Epoxy glue will hold up. If the boat stays in the water, you should probably glue a piece of plastic to the hull and then screw the transducer to that. For a trailer-stored boat, a piece of solid lumber would work.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you think I would have to remove the factory paint 1st?For the plastic,what about a chunk of cutting board type plastic?Any 2 part epoxy?Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 Xpress welded Jon has a transducer mounted with 2 sheet metal screws with silicone inside and outside with OD green paint on it.....never a problem at all......but I understand your reluctance to drill your transom. If you remove the paint where the holes are drilled, roughen the aluminum and put the silicone over the screws inside and outside it ain't gonna leak....I spray paint over the silicone and it sorta protects it from the UV degrading...

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Made a bracket and attached to transom with 3M 4200 UV. Bolted transducer mount to bracket. Going into year 4 and still holding strong.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
No need to drill. Look at Stern Mate. The kit comes with the mount and two part epoxy. I used this on my brand new Islander and it worked great.

thumpar

Admiral
I would use 4200 over 5200. If you ever want to remove it the 4200 will let you, the 5200 is more permanent.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks all,I went with the 5200,and the $20 plastic mount plate from Bass Pro.Won`t get the boat till august to work it,just trying to get it all lined out.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It'll work fine. I've got a transducer mounted on a 1/2" thick piece of cutting board which is then epoxy'd to the transom with Loctite marine epoxy - three years of wakeboarding and its not moved a bit.