Transducer interference

7360glen

Recruit
I've got a 2013 1650 Rebel XL Sport that I bought new. A couple of years ago I upgraded my graph to a Lowrance Hook 9 and I've had problems ever since. My previous Humminbird graph was great. The Lowrance loses the bottom at speed and is very slow to start up and zoom in/out. I'll sometimes sit still for up to twenty minutes and the bottom will still not show up. I've adjusted the location of the transducer a few times but without any luck. I also replaced the transducer last summer but that did not solve the problems. I'm wondering if the rivets across the bottom of the hull are causing interference (they didn't with the Humminbird). Does anyone know if this a problem specific to the Lowrance or is it with my installation?
Thanks in advance.

mr 88

Commander
Dont know how rivets could cause interference when your not moving for 20 minutes as you stated. Most units have a transducer selection in there menu , do you have the correct one selected ? . I would be calling Lowrance or googling for more info. My Furuno and Simrad on different boats " lose " the bottom display when I go over 10 -15 mph,

MRS

Commander
I have the hook 7 does the same thing but bottom shows up when I slow back down. Might take 20 seconds to fill the screen back up.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My last Simrad was a factory option. The dealer set it up when they did the pre-delivery service. So, when I got the boat it just turned on with no initial set-up screen.

I had a similar problem. When I did some troubleshooting I discovered that the wrong transducer frequency had been selected. Once resolved it works fine.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Probably a combination of a number of things:

Have all the software updates been done?

What transducer (model) are you running?
Is the unit in auto or manual mode?

Does the depth reading “blink or flash” at anytime?

Dropping out at speed is an installation issue. Rivets are notorious offenders

The regen issue can be a couple of things:
A slow/under powered processor (CPU)

Excess “noise” (missing or erroneous data) in the signal coming from the transducer. The unit is having issues calculating and plotting the display with corrupted signals

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a hook2 9 and I regret the day I bought it. I've contacted Lowrance many times trying to get fixes for things like the speed at which the gps updates, delays when zooming in or out, the depth sounder and all the tings related to it just stop working randomly. Any way they said there are no hardware or software updates at this time and it wouldn't surprise me to see them stop supporting that P.O.S series altogether. Quiet frankly I will never by another Lowrance

82rude

Rear Admiral
I shoot my garmin spark through the al hull with zero issues atall.

topgun3690

Ensign
The Hook series was designed as an entry level/cheaper version at a lower price point......they look great but don't have the processing speed needed for fast operation. Period.

cptbill

The old Garmin stuff that's on our Larson work way better then the Hook2 9 I added to the Wellcraft. In the spring I'm going to replace the hook and use it for target practice

MRS

Commander
The old Garmin stuff that's on our Larson work way better then the Hook2 9 I added to the Wellcraft. In the spring I'm going to replace the hook and use it for target practice
I'm thinking the same thing ran it today and was acting real strange stopping and starting. No fish but that was not the units fault :(

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The guys that were in on the initial development of the Hummingbird used to work in my area of an OEM provider of electronic equipment. I think that original development was in Alabama and one of the popular lure mfgrs/designers was part of the startup funding.....it's been a long time and memory is dusty. How/why they came to Texas to recruit designers is news to me as what we were doing wasn't depthfiders or sonars or any of that, but was related otherwise. They told me that they just did it as a sideline to be doing it....liked the challenge. I was a Lowrance user at the time...only thing available. When their first unit hit the market I bought one and have been a HB user ever since.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I had a little tinny I used a little $99 Hummingbird. It worked good and I liked it. A few years later I upgraded to a color model, and saw no real difference vs. the B&W one.

The best unit I ever had was an Eagle, and I used it over 20 years with no problems whatsoever. It's Fish ID worked awesomely well. At the time Eagle was the low priced WalMart & catalog division of Lowrance.

Both the Bird and Eagle went along with the boat when it was sold.

Currently, I would rate my RayMarine very highly. The chirp and other newfangled technology is quite a step above. Of course, its priced accordingly. My second best today is my Simrad.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Best fish locator on the market, bar none.

They are not out there for the sport....lol

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 7

skuhleman

Seaman
Do you have a picture of where your transducer is located on the transom?
My hook reveal 7 reads up to about 40mpg. After that I have a dedicated depth sounder for depth only. By the time I slow down to 30 or so my hook picks back up.

cptbill

Do you have a stepped hull? If so that would be pretty normal, the Larson has a stepped hull and the depth does not read at cruising speed but the stand alone depth sounder that is located forward of the step works all the time, has to do with the amount of bubbles or turbulence the step creates