Trailer wiring diagram

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi, I was wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction so I can get a trailer wiring diagram. I am in the process of rewiring the trailer and in need of some help in getting the light to work properly on the trailer. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

wayne h

Re: Trailer wiring diagram

here is a great easy sight that will help u also remember not to rely on the ball for a ground it will drive u nuts. use the white wire thats supplyed in the harness <br /><br /> http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

solved my problem by using a continous ground wire to every light. in other words run an extra wire for ground., don't count on fixture grounding to trailer, connect to white wire on plug and make sure white wire on tow vehicle has a good ground connection. as i have staterd in other post always unplug you lights before launching and allow bulbs to cool, saves a lot of headaches.

tommays

Admiral

lighting_dia.gif
<br /><br /><br />that should do it<br /><br />tommays

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I connected the towing vehicle ground to the trailer frame ground using dedicated wire-through the plastic 7 way connectors-; instead of relying the grounding contact from the ball only; as was already mentioned above.<br /><br />Furthermore, I have a habit of removing my rear light fixtures (I use wing nuts to attach them to the trailer; also: I spliced in-soldered- "quick connects/disconnect" on the wiring to each of those rear light fixtures) before I backed up the trailer in the water. This way I ensure the lamps and it's connections inside won't be subjected to the water. So far they have been trouble free for me.<br /> :)

rwidman

Lieutenant

Furthermore, I have a habit of removing my rear light fixtures (I use wing nuts to attach them to the trailer; also: I spliced in-soldered- "quick connects/disconnect" on the wiring to each of those rear light fixtures) before I backed up the trailer in the water. This way I ensure the lamps and it's connections inside won't be subjected to the water. So far they have been trouble free for me.<br />
Wow, that seems like a lot of trouble each time you launch your boat!<br /><br />I got a set of waterproof LED lights for about $60.00 plus $20 more for the center 80" light and leave them connected while launching. No problems, and I'm in and out without any hassle. No holding up the line either :)

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rwidman,<br />I agree that having a good quality waterproof trailer light fixture looks like the way to go. But I try to prolong the life of the one that I have (el cheapo kind); hence I do that extra step. <br /><br />Actually, I undo the lights at the set up area where I remove the 2 transom straps as well, thus, not holding anyone else. (Don't you hate it when someone(s) taking their time to get out of the way?). :) <br /><br />By the way tashadaddy; sorry for repeating your procedure of making a dedicated grounding wire between the towing vehicle and the trailer; I should be more observant next time! <br /><br />Also, I think that the link and the wiring diagram posted by wayne34609 and tommays are excellent info!

beezee28

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I had to run the ground wire to the front light for the lights to work. Initially I screw the ground wire at the front near the hitch but that did not work. Bought LED light and I really recommend it. Worth the extra $$ spent. The light at the back lightup really bright.