trailer vs regular tire

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
My boat trailer has ST185/80r13 tires. I like to get a spare. A couple questions:

a. Does the "ST" designate trailer tires?
b. Are trailer tires more expensive than regular tires with the same number?

I like to get a spare set up, but don't want to spend too much money. We trailer only 25 miles. Thanks.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: trailer vs regular tire

ST = Special Trailer Tires
And, yes, they're usually a little more expensive.

You need tires specifically designed to handle the weight and stress that is applied to trailer tires. Standard car or truck tires are not designed to meet these loads and stresses.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

From the Goodyear tire inflation and load charts, Page L-10

SERVICE LOAD AND INFLATION TABLES
PASSENGER CAR TIRES USED ON LIGHT TRUCK, TRAILERS
OR SPECIAL PURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES

*Loads have been reduced by a service factor of 1.10 for passenger tires used on light trucks, trailers or multi-purpose passenger vehicles.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

You really need the sidewall strength that trailer tires have. Once instance of tire trouble on the road would make you wish you had spent the little extra money, even if you were only a few miles from home. I'm not sure about this, but I think trailer tires also have some extra resistance to sunlight degradation,too.

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep,

ST are trailer tires, and more expensive, and usually run with much higher air pressure.

But for a spare ?
I would not, because it will probably just hang on the trailer for two years then crack.

Going on a long distance ? Different story.

My $ 0.02

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

a car tire spare is better than no spare. but ultimately, it would be nice to have a matching ST tire ready to go. A long time ago with our family boat and
i was a kid, we had a blowout and then the spare blew out. it was late of night of course, it sucked. so, i change my spare every couple of years now so its not rotted out. I do have a spare, its a ST tire that sits on the tongue of the trailer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Trailer tire is what you need. That is if you are using it on a trailer.
How many of you like to drive on the donut versus a regular size spare ???

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I priced a set of Carlisle trailer tires(4) yesterday. $352 out the door. My problem now is getting the wheels off the trailer. I've already sheared two lugs and I've got one that just spins.

reelfishin

Captain

I priced a set of Carlisle trailer tires(4) yesterday. $352 out the door. My problem now is getting the wheels off the trailer. I've already sheared two lugs and I've got one that just spins.

Wheel studs are fairly soft, take a drill and drill out the stud itself. Its probably the easiest way that won't damage the hub or rim. Then press in a replacement stud as soon as possible.

The stud is usually far softer than the lug nut, drill it out using sequentially larger drill bits if needed.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Wheel studs are fairly soft, take a drill and drill out the stud itself. Its probably the easiest way that won't damage the hub or rim. Then press in a replacement stud as soon as possible.

The stud is usually far softer than the lug nut, drill it out using sequentially larger drill bits if needed.

The two that I sheared are on the front axel and should be easy to replace.The rear axel lug that was spinning was taken care of with a four pound hammer and a cutting wheel. The rear lug will be a bit tougher because of the trailer brakes.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been trailering boats for over 40 years. Sizes from 14 to 26'.
Every time I try something to save a few bucks, it winds up biting me in th ***** and costing more.
For reasons stated above, I strongly recommend buying the proper ST tire already mounted on the rim and ready to go.
Only trailering 30 miles? How boat you have a flat at the ramp? Then what?