Trailer toung length?

imported_beck

Seaman
Hi to all,

I have a galv. boat trailer with a 16' flatboat on it. The hitch coupling is on a 7' long by 3" (acutally must be slightly smaller that 3") because it is inserted inside another 3" square tube which runs to the actual trailer chassie. The end with the coupler seems a little flimsly. I aquired another end of a trailer, heavier duty 3" square tube but not long enough to replace the run from the trailer to the coupler in one piece. I plan to piece it, cut the existing one a little shorter and add the HD piece over it and possibly reinforce on the outside.

Main question how long is the usual length from say the front of the boat to the coupler, mine is now 5' which makes is a little flimsly.

Thanks,
Beck :)

D

DJ

Re: Trailer toung length?

Five feet is a bit long. However, remember, the longer it is the better it tows and the easier it is to launch.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is your tow vehicle. it's a pain when the tow vehicle is a suv or pickup and you can open the tail gate, because the bow or bow stop is in the way, i allways have an extra long trailer, make launching easier.

imported_beck

Seaman

I tow with a conversion van. Talk about a pain to back up, can't open rear doors. Anyway I manage actually have it almost to an art. I unhook everything away from the backdown and I tie the bow roap to rear door hinge then just back down and when boat slides off trailer I get out untie line than tie to dock. It's eaziest when I have the dock run to the drivers door. Sorry I got off the subject I was reading another post about this.

My main concern is I think the tongue is somewhat flimsly. Bounces somewhat, I was thinking of shortening it some.

Thanks
Beck

imported_beck

Seaman

I think one of the things contributing is the smaller tube stuck into the larger one. It may be slightly weaker.

Beck

Ps: not proficient with photos yet.
will try.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think your best bet is find a trailer service business, the can install the proper length and size tongue for you. yellow pages trailer service or boat trailers. it's not that expensive. i had a tire come off at 65 mph, a while back, had to put complete under carrage under the trailer, in a strange city, only $500 springs, axle, rims and tires, and installation on a Saturday.