Trailer Title

cstickman

Cadet
I just purchased a trailer without a title. It was a trailer that goes for 2300 and it was on CL for only 250 so I could not pass it up. The problem is that there is no title for it. He did give me a bill of sale and he did have a current lic plate on it. How do I obtain a title for it? Or how would I go about registering it so I can put a plate on it? Thanks

vote4me4pres

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer Title

Each state is different so it depends on where you are. I'm in Florida and they don't give titles for trailers under a certain weight, just transfer the registration. Call the tax collectors office or look on the county website.

ultrarunner

Cadet

Way too many variables... the only thing you can do is inquire at your State Office or research it online.

I know it can be done, I've done it... the real question is how time consuming will it be?

Some states have expedited procedures for trailers and low value vehicles... others treat them all alike... quarter million dollar Ferrari of Box Trailer...

My State starts be checking VIN number for outstanding tickets or if it is stolen.

Sounds like you got a deal if it works out.

Jonathan3206

Seaman

In texas only trailers with VIN's are titled. Down fall is 90%+ of them have been stamped with a VIN. I just got a new boat on CL for $800 with a trailer 2 weeks ago. Boat had a title and trailer didn't. I paid $2 for them to run a check on the VIN number and it matched the bill of sale. I then sent the paperwork for a lost title to the seller and filled out the section that states the title will be turned over to me. Took it back to the Tax office and they gave me new plates and I will have the title in 4-6 weeks.

Total cost with tags was <$100

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

In my state no title means no tags or registration...
It does not matter if we have a bill of sale even if its notarized.
One of the biggest PIA states i have ever lived in....:rolleyes:

cribber

Lieutenant

Declare it home made and fulfill those requirements for registering it in your State... After that you should be good to go!!!

ultrarunner

Cadet

A high school friend had an Uncle in the Engine Repair Business... he was always picking up cars and a few boats by holding lien sales... didn't cost much... just took time for the legal notices to run their course...

He even got a nice trailer once that he was storing for a guy that never came back for it... it was there short term and the guy dropped off the face of the earth... two years later it was sold after the new title was issued.

Lot of different ways to approach things... I was given an old Model A truck with a Statement of Facts attesting to the car was a ranch vehicle for the last 50 years and as such was not registered and what ever documentation was lost long age... I was able to get title and plates once the ID number came back clear...

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same thing here in ME, NH, VT & MA with slight variables. There is a Title of origin on newer trailers, but even then, it's the Manufacture who produces them, not the State. Most States want the previous registration form the previous owner. I would grab that from the seller if at all possible.

Jeep Man

Commander

Rules change from place to place. NO registration or readible make and serial number, go for home made. In your case, if it was here, DMV could issue a new registration, traced by the plate number, and give it to you because you have a bill of sale. Then, you would take this to the former owner to have him sign it, and then you would return it to DMV to get YOUR registration.