Trailer Tires wearing bad

etek1414

Recruit
I have a Boat trailer a little over a year old, very limited trips on the tires yet the left and right edge on one side has no tread left and the other side has the inside severely worn. Is this a misaligned weld of the wheel assembly to the trailer or cheap tires? The tires say 50 lbs max pressure and I have about 44lbs now. I added some pressure to try and keep the wear more toward the center of the tire. Should I be running more pressure? I'm guess when making turns its eating the tread away.

Thanks

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer Tires wearing bad

What is the brand of tires you are using? Also, tell us a little more about your boat etc.

Thanks

etek1414

Recruit

I have a stingray 195 with the 4cyl motor, not the heavier. I will get more detail on the tires and weight when I get a chance. I did find some threads about axle possibly being bowed. Hope its not that serious, don't think I have hit any bad holes and such although I have slowely rolled off some curbs.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tire wear can be caused by alignment being out (bent axle), loose bearings or even bent wheel.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

don't over think things, if the outside of the tires is wearing badly, thats 90% of the time under inflated for weight on the tire and if one tire is underinflated, it could cause the tire on the oppisite side to wear badly on the inside, kinda like this

(underinflated tire)-----\ <-tire leaning to underinflated side

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with escapade.

I would suggest a free estimate.

take the wheel off and go to Sears, NTB etc. Ask them what caused it.

I am thinking they will say allignment (in a trailer most likelt axel). Both tires being worn would make me look at that area.

ttownguy

Seaman Apprentice

Definitely check your bearings too. Wiggle the tires by grabbing the tire with both hands on top as if you were going to pull it off the hub and push it back and forth. If there's any play it could be a factor. Tire inflation being too low or high can also cause abnormal tire wear too. Any evidence of bent spindles or axles, or any anomolies in the trailer itself? How's the weight distribution in your boat? Good luck!

rndn

Commander

first off, Welcome to the iboats.com boating forum!!:):)
Do you still have a way to contact the original owner to find out if your trailer had these issue before you bought it? Has the trailer been in some kind of a wreck prior to your purchase? What is the weight capacity of your trailer and what does your boat weigh? It may be simple inflation issues but it also may be an overloaded trailer, bent axle, bad alignment. Don't just assume it's inflation issues and ruin another set of tires to find out you're wrong.

etek14

Cadet

Thanks everyone for chiming in, Heres the info I have....

Boat was purchased brand new with trailer

Trail america tires 4 ply :confused:
load range C
Maxload 1760lbs at 50psi

Stingray site says boat is 2604lbs with 4.3, I have the 3.0
21 gal tank

Trailer tag says GVWR 3420lb

another sticker on trailer says weight of cargo should not exceed 2750lbs, looks like a sticker from tires specs.

There is a noticable upward bend in center of axle which some have told me this is normal.

Is normal safe pressure 45-50 psi on trailer tires with this rating
It was run a little low for a couple trips so I'm hoping this is the only issue but never seen tread leave so quickly on a tire even on the edges.

j_martin

Admiral

You are near the limit on the tires. I would run em right at 50 lbs. Also check your gauge. Even the good ones seem to go bad with age, and they can fail in either direction.

A few pounds low with that load would definitely wear the outside edges of the tires. It also heats up and deteriorates the sidewalls rapidly.

hope it helps
John

etek14

Cadet

That helps John, I thought that was a little close too. Not sure what the weight difference is on the motor between a 4.3 and 3.0 but still close to the weight limit on the tires.

rndn

Commander

Just make sure you realize the weight is a dry weight, not counting batteries, fuel, stuff. You may be close to the maximum weight.