Trailer Switch

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stupid Question that's probably been asked before, but I can't find it when searching old threads. My boat has twin Bravo 2 drives. The tilt switches on the throttles work just fine, drives go up and down like they should, but the trailer switch does nothing on either drive, no noise that I can hear from up top, drives won't go up to the trailer position.
If I go down in the engine compartment, I can jump each solenoid (?) and make the drives go all the way up or down. I replaced the switch (because I needed to replace another anyway), and that did nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Trailer Switch

There is a wiring diagram in the maintenance manual for your engines. So, if you have not looked at the diagram, you may want to. . . .

the trailer switch usually only is wired to raise the drives not lower them. the trim switches should only raise the drives up to the 'trim limit'. It sounds like someone wired the trim switch to raise the drive all the way and disconneced the wiring for the trailer switch.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A lot depends on which control you have. Many times the trailer button does nothing but bypass the trim limit switch and allows you to raise the drive all the way up using the trim button. It won't make any noise or do anything by itself.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

QUICKSILVER.jpg
Here is a picture of my throttle control, I think it is a Quicksilver, but I'm not sure. I will look closer tomorrow.
I did not do a very good job of explaining. The trim switches will only bring the drives up to the limit. When I picked up the boat this spring, we could not get the drives up to the trailer position. The marina tech showed me how to jump it down in the engine compartment. You can jump it from the hot lead to the blue wire which made the drive go up to the trailer position. I think I am doing this at a solenoid, kind of hard to get my head in there well enough to really see what I am working on.
I have tried the trailer switch on it's own, and it does nothing. Same result if I hold the trailer switch while I operate the trim switches(either one).
So far, I have not seen a wiring diagram yet.