Trailer Shake - I'm out of ideas

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
With all that has been tried, I seriously doubt this is a suspension/tire/spring/axle issue. Over the years many cars and trucks have had dead weight added to spring leaves, transmission mounts, engine mounts, and exhaust systems to cancel harmonic issues which I feel this trailer suffers from. Things to try would be:

1) Use a long ratchet strap and run it side to side around the frame rails are various positions in an attempt to cancel those vibrations.
2) Attach heavy weights (5 pounds or so) at various points on the trailer. Don't mount them permanently but fashion a secure mount so it can be quickly moved.
3) Install these weights on the axle near the spring perch and try moving toward the center.
4) Have someone watch the trailer frame and boat position as the winch cable/strap is tightened. It may be the boat is not sitting squarely on the bunks/rollers.
5) Many trailers have just a couple of cross members so the trailers really flex. Consider adding another cross member -- after considerable study of course.
6) Try removing the fenders. They are sometimes mounted on flimsy brackets that can vibrate like crazy.
7) Getting back to wheel bearings. Proper adjustment is to have .005 - .010 inch slop in the bearing. Running them at zero clearance or excessive clearance can cause vibration. That clearance can barely be felt with the wheel off the ground, grasped at the 6 & 12 o-clock or 3 and 9 and rocking the wheel (push at 3, pull at 9 or push at 12 and pull at 6.) No clearance = bad. Barely felt = good. Sloppy loose = bad.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure you you lock out the surge brakes, or you will have a mess when the wheel cylinders come apart.
Also, the Reliable Axle you have usually uses a non-standard size seal. So be aware of that.

Not only was the seal non-standard so was the outer bearing. I did lock out the brakes. I plan to weld it when I switch to idler hubs.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
did you ever get a chase vehicle next to it.

I did. My girlfriend was my chaser and she believes the side that killed the bearings was shaking some. She said it wasn't really pronounced though just that it looked a little funny.

I just picked up my new hubs and will put them in tonight. If this doesn't fix it, all I have left is the axle!

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With all that has been tried, I seriously doubt this is a suspension/tire/spring/axle issue. Over the years many cars and trucks have had dead weight added to spring leaves, transmission mounts, engine mounts, and exhaust systems to cancel harmonic issues which I feel this trailer suffers from. Things to try would be:

Agree. My trailer vibrates when the winch strap is not tight. Trailers have a lot of flex and anything you can do to get the boat tight to the trailer will help.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I put on the new idler hubs last night and PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

The one brake drum had to have been out of round. I visually can see no defects at all, even when set on top of the other drum. My last task is to weld the surge actuator (or whatever it's called) permanently in place (I just strapped the brake stop in place for right now).

Thanks for all the help on this!

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Glad you got it figured out. Those kind if problems can drive you crazy.(and cost a lot of money):)