Trailer rollers vs carpet covered boards??

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer rollers vs carpet covered boards??

gee I wonder what could have caused that? Like I've stated earlier I've had a 1984 Lund that had spent it's entire life sitting on rollers and now a 1988 Alumacraft that is also on rollers and neither of them showed any signs like that. Bottoms of both boats are staight as arrows. I can post pictures also and those would be of the actual boats.

Yeah no idea... I have also had roller trailers and the hull looked entirely fine. Point is that rollers have a much smaller point of contact, and the PSI against the hull is going to be much higher. Some hulls will be fine forever, and some will be like the pics where they bend quite a bit.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yeah no idea... I have also had roller trailers and the hull looked entirely fine. Point is that rollers have a much smaller point of contact, and the PSI against the hull is going to be much higher. Some hulls will be fine forever, and some will be like the pics where they bend quite a bit.

I have 2 ideas as to how that hull got damaged and neither of them involve just sitting on the trailer.. Both of the boats I have had on rollers I could actually lay under the boat and turn the rollers by hand so there is no way I buy the greater psi claim. Especially on an aluminum hull.

Carusoswi

Seaman Apprentice

deleted post - did not make sense

Last edited:

gdeangel

Seaman

Here's one of those "unique" places you can load with rollers.... New Boat. Who Cares!!! - YouTube

As for some perspective on bunks, I hate them. I have been trying to set up the bunks on my trailer for 2 years, and I had the original trailer to take measurements off! Problem was, the cross posts of the new trailer where the supports are welded didn't exactly match up on the hull to where the old trailer's were. Now I finally get the bunks to fit PERFECTLY, just where I want them, nice and tight on the hull, just outside the strakes, hull is perfectly supported, but I can't get the damn boat loaded right because there is too much friction with the carpet to load at the right depth, and if I back in any more, then damn thing floats on and won't stay centered. In other words, I got the lines perfect, but the pitch of the whole thing on the trailer is too flat. I just spent over $100 bucks on some "bunk glides" that were supposed to be slicker than carpet. Had to rip all the carpet off my bunks. Still almost busted a 2 1/2" winch strap trying to get the boat the last 2" up to the bow stop. Finally quite before the thing snapped... had to trailer home with the damn bow rocking around in the front. That's a fast way to do a lot more damage to the what you'll get with the hull sitting on a 2" wide rubber roller (they also make bigger rollers that will distribute pressure better if your really paranoid).